Time to be a pest again - C4S for the SEX 2.1?

Todd R · 8075

Offline Todd R

on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:53 PM
Hey Doc,
Any idea when I can get this very awesome upgrade?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:27:06 PM
Hello Todd,

The manual should be wrapped up shortly (we were delayed by needing a custom piece of hardware), hopefully Josh can chime in on how it's going.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:47:04 PM
I plan on ordering as soon as one is available.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Todd R

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:50 PM
Oh good!
Listening to it right now with a Calyx 24/192 DAC and my HE-500 headphones in balanced mode.
SO, SO GOOD!
Can't wait to hear it with the C4S.

Offline Wormwood

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:08:25 AM
What does the C4S bring to a build?

S

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:29:15 AM
What does the C4S bring to a build?

Essentially, the C4S will present the ideal load to the driver half of the 6DN7, increasing the gain a bit, and lowering the distortion of that stage.  As a side benefit, the C4S also presents a high impedance between the driver and the power supply, granting some noise reduction.

There's some decent reading on the subject here:
http://www.pmillett.com/current_source.htm
Though it is good to keep in mind that our C4S circuit is purpose-built for high voltage tube apps (some have found the IXYS chips to be a bit flaky).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:50:22 PM
Sorry, I just saw this one. So here's what's going on with manuals: I've gotta get the Bottlenects manual done first, since those kits are already arriving for people (photos and most of the writing is done). Then I need to build, shoot, write, and layout the C4S S.E.X. 2.1 manual. I have tomorrow off, so my goal is to have a functioning C4S'd S.E.X. by tomorrow afternoon and be listening to it while I write. Overall, I think the manual should be done by next weekish, barring unforeseen delays.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:20:22 PM
If you run into any hangups, I'll be at home working too, and Doc B. has a working SEX with C4S on the workbench.

We are here for you buddy ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:50:52 AM
Count me in!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 02:40:21 PM
I've got an itchy trigger finger on that buy button too!

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:33:26 PM
hi,  i am really confused here.  when i ordered my sex 2.1 assembled by shawn at bottlehead a year ago i, just as a matter of course, had the c4s upgrade installed because i thought this issue was settled.  this upgrade was one that everyone would want.  i assumed we all knew that.  now i see that the discussion about this matter is ongoing.  the comments about this matter seem to be recent. why?  we all know this is an upgrade that is desirable.  at least i thought so.  please enlighten me. don

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 05:48:02 PM
The manual to install the C4S has to be different because version 2.1 is different and looks different in the pictures. Since we're re-doing it anyhow, the latest C4S board will be used, which is also slightly different. The C4S in the catalog right now is for version 2.0. As often happens, we underestimated how long it would take to make a simple revised manual...

The same goes for upgrading to the version 2.1 output transformers and plate chokes, incidentally. This is not the same as buying Magnequest plate chokes and output transformers, which are still available and work for either version; we don't have a manual for either amp version but the change is much simpler in that case - fewer connections.

Since Shawn built yours, with Doc B looking over his shoulder, he din't need no stinkin' manual! You have a pre-production, semi-custom amp.

Paul Joppa

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 06:28:48 PM
well bein' simpleminded does this mean i am hosed up or i am i good to go?  my li'l amp and it's li'l foreplay 3 sound awful good but if it could sound better i'm in that game too.  yuh know what i mean? don

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 01:20:34 AM
Your C4S boards are there and professionally installed.  You are in high cotton!

You also have a version of the amplifier no one else has at the moment.

Offline Todd R

Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 02:38:26 AM
How we coming on this?