Sex 2.0 with grid choke

tsingle999 · 2507

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: November 01, 2012, 04:50:07 PM
Velcroed in a mq high nickel grid choke in place of the 249k resistor. Didn't get any noise like when i tried it in the paramount. Put in 1 channel so i could see if it would work. The grid choke channel doesn't have as much bass boom and cleaner highs from what i could tell. Gonna try to put it in the other channel now which may be a bit more difficult cuz of space issues.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline tsingle999

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:29:02 PM
Ok i velcroed the 2nd grid choke in and it fits and works and sounds pretty good! Time to burn them in! When i go to secure these properly with screws and nuts should i add a solder tab and take it to ground? Thanks...
By the way the volume is noticeably lower using the russian teflon 0.1 coupling caps.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 02:17:27 AM
Looks like the underside of my Paramours.  Stuffed full of big film caps.

Nice work!  What are the second largest caps, at right, doing in there?

Offline tsingle999

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:09:38 AM
I know i need to secure them better! Those black caps are silver n oil parafeed caps 1.8uf. The largest are obbligato 22uf film oil caps. Ive got some 47 uf black gates in there too.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:07:06 AM
Thanks ! 

Oooo, I didn't see the Black Gates.  I have a Gain Clone using all Black Gates in the dual mono power supplies.  The power cord is common, the fuses are not.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:22 PM
Tom,

When you mount the chokes, they should probably be isolated from the chassis plate.  As for gro9unding, I'd try it both ways, but a la bottlehead -- a piece of buss wire taken back to the common ground point.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline tsingle999

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 05:59:07 PM
Thanks Jim. I will try it both ways. Its ok ungrounded. I just bolted the chokes in but put teflon washers between the chokes and chassis. I just finished putting in the m4 iron. While i was at it i thought i would replace 1 russian teflon with the french teflon from diyhifi to compare those...

Offline tsingle999

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:57 PM
Ok after installing the iron i am back to one channel not working. Im going to resolder the 47 uf bg cap. The hardest part about working on this version of the sex amp is the electrolytic caps without wire leads. Could someone recommend replacements that would have leads so i can work on the amp more easily? Thanks. Taran