Bottleneck 6V6 competition update

RayP · 14696

Offline RayP

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 03:39:13 AM
With less than four weeks to the competition, I figured it was time to open the kimono and show my entry, the Lumiere. It really has been a fun project.

I have done a write up showing the schematic and parts cost along with a page with a bunch of photos.
http://829b.com/6V6Lumiere.aspx

Other entrants do not have to reveal their entries at this stage, just bring your schematic and parts list along with your amplifier. Of course, you can release details if you wish.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:40 AM
Very cool, Ray!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rock4016

Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:29:52 AM
Looks good Ray, I need to get things finished up!!!
:)

Offline RayP

Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 04:13:23 AM
Well it

Ray Perry

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 12:27:15 PM
Here is my entry.

Rudolf, he should have antlers that double as heatsinks for the CCS,
 unfortunately that would put them at 150V

John S.

Offline RayP

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:48 PM
I think we are going to have some very fun entries (as well as good sounding). So what is that thing, I can't recognize it.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 05:50:26 AM

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 10:09:01 AM
Yep, that

John S.

Offline castlesteve

Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:54:03 AM
I think we are going to have some very fun entries (as well as good sounding). So what is that thing, I can't recognize it.

ray

Friday afternoon. getting ready for Sunday. Can someone bring a preamp also as i seem to have an intermittent fault in mine that i haven`t pinned down yet. I`m looking forward to this although i won`t be presenting an entry due to work constraints etc. See you all Sunday, Steve.

Offline RayP

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 02:44:02 PM
Fritz is going to bring his Foreplay 2. I can also bring my new 12B4A linestage as a back up, but with new capacitors, it is still a bit bright.

How about everybody with a linestage with a continously variable pot bring what they have and then we can select one.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:47 PM
This is starting to sound like a real fun event - wish I could be there. Please post when it's over!

Paul Joppa

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 09:30:42 AM
My entry is nothing special with regard to the circuit.  Even though it is remarkably similar to the design found on the Boozhound Laboratories , I came up with the circuit myself after reading many books and websites throughout the year. I understand the purpose of each resistor and capacitor in the circuit and why I chose the value.  Even though I have built several Bottlehead kits and other projects, I never understood anything about what I was putting together. Now I can look at another circuit and actually decipher what is there.  This is a big step for me!

I was beginning to think that I would not have an entry either, but have managed to pull it together at the last minute.  Then there was a horrible hum that would not have prevented my participating, but certainly would not have allowed me any chance of scoring well.  Once I got that worked out, I was disappointed with the sound.  Of course, I was playing it with my bench system - an old NEC external CD drive meant for a computer, into a Adcom solid state preamp from the early 90's with Spica TC-50 speakers.  I turned the Adcom all the way up (literally) to get a decent level to listen.  Problem was, there was huge amounts of audible distortion.  In addition, the sound was dull and lifeless.  

So, I swapped out the NEC with my ARCAM CD73 (which we will be using for the competition).  Big difference!  The level put out by the ARCAM was higher than the NEC, so I had to turn down the Adcom but there was still a lot of distortion.

Finally, I decided to bring the system into the home theater room where I have my ART Arrays and my Foreplay III.  HUGE DIFFERENCE!  I'm sure the Foreplay has more gain than the Adcom, but its only on the third click.  The ART arrays are around 92dB while the Spica's are 84dB efficient (just looked that up didn't realize they were that inefficient).  Now, the room is filled with sound (as arrays will do) without any distortion.  No buzz, no distortion!  I'm VERY surprised by the bass.  I have yet to run it through some torture tests to see how much there really is, but on regular music tracks it is very pleasing.  

Finally, after reading about Steve's linestage not working and our needing a continuously variable volume control I tried something I never tried before.  I read somewhere that Lightspeeds should not be used to drive tube amps (not sure why, something about impedance mismatching or something).  So, I'm using the Foreplay simply as sort of a tube buffer.  I ran from the CD player to my Lightspeed Attenuator to the Foreplay III then to my amp.  WOW!  I'm really amazed how good this system sounds.  I have the parts for another Lightspeed on the way for a different project - now I'm thinking I might want to follow it with a tube buffer.

I will be at Steve's early tomorrow to get things set up.  This should be fun!

P.S.  The chassis is a cutlery tray and the transformer covers are cutlery caddies from Ikea
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:37:14 AM by dbishopbliss »

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 10:00:49 AM
That tray looks familiar

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 02:41:03 PM
John,

Is that a prototype Stereomour?

Offline rock4016

Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 04:36:19 PM
I've got a great sounding 76 linestage that I'll bring.

Also my amp is finally done.  It sounds better than my reference amp, so I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow.