FP-III Sub-out question

balancedtriode · 2250

Offline balancedtriode

on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:12 AM
Hey guys,
I am currently building a Foreplay 3 kit and as always I am looking to the next project, could I use the sub out on the FP-III to run a crack kit? and if so, would I need to mod the circuit any in the FP?
thanks,
Coltrane

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:47 PM
Hello Coltrane,

Yes, there is a way to do this.  You can omit the 1K resistors that go between the output jacks in your build.  Then you need to add an extra wire from each lug of the selector switch to the appropriate empty jack on the back plate.

This will give you essentially a tape out, and you can send that to your Crack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:30:27 PM
Of course you can just connect it unchanged - the problem which PB is solving is that if you do what I said, you'll have both volume controls active. A few people might like to "set and forget" the Crack control, chosing between speakers and headphones by switching on the speaker amp or the Crack.

Others may prefer to use the Crack control for headphone level, and the FP control for speakers, in which case PB's approach is the preferred one.

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:56:17 AM
My FPIII is in the second system with Crack only right now.   The plan was to eventually add a speaker amp.   That's still the plan if I ever get around to moving the aquarium into the adjacent, spare room. Hopefully spring or summer 2013.  That opens up a ton of space which I need for the speakers.   The plan was just to do what Paul suggests and leave the outputs as is and just switch desired amp on.   I have a couple amps and speakers so Im all set to go, just have to do the work.   Unfortunately, it's not a Stereomour.   If it works out, maybe a Stereomour will be the next addition.  Either speaker pair I have in mind is probably efficient enough   ;D

Desmond G.