Issue with Crack AC voltages

jrb7288 · 2023

Offline jrb7288

on: November 13, 2012, 06:09:09 AM
Hi folks,

I just recently got my Crack and have since been building it like a madman. When I finally got to testing part, I hit a wall I couldn't get around. I passed the resistance checks like water, but with the real stuff flowing through, 2 of the terminals give me bad values. According to the manual, A9 and B7 should have 0 volts going through, yet my meter shows me 5.80-5.90v - every time.
I've re-heated and soldered them both 3 times now, and even though I'm a rookie with DIY-stuff, I'd say they are well enough connected with no cold joints.

I'm clueless at this point. Could it be the transformer itself is somehow damaged?
Any advice and/or insight on this would be appreciated.

Cheers!

-jr

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:35:49 AM
If only two terminals on the tube sockets read wrong it's not the power transformer. Probably a mis-wire. You might have the heater wiring backwards somewhere.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:25:58 PM
(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/fYPX1_lz5AfnrKQbQSFwNjuRbbg6aYU4yZVkypxHhhgiQ6F7_9kIZGvrzYzNUpaZjHH5vHf528k)

I've circled the wire that would set this voltage to zero.  How are the voltages on A4/5 and B8?  If you get 0 volts on those terminals, don't sweat it, just enjoy it.

-PB
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:27:46 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jrb7288

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:39 AM
If only two terminals on the tube sockets read wrong it's not the power transformer. Probably a mis-wire. You might have the heater wiring backwards somewhere.
Ok, I'll check everything once again; probably missed something.

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/fYPX1_lz5AfnrKQbQSFwNjuRbbg6aYU4yZVkypxHhhgiQ6F7_9kIZGvrzYzNUpaZjHH5vHf528k)

I've circled the wire that would set this voltage to zero.  How are the voltages on A4/5 and B8?  If you get 0 volts on those terminals, don't sweat it, just enjoy it.

-PB

The values I get from those terminals keep running from 0.50v to 0.01v over and over again, but my DMM also gives me a loud beep when it gets close to 0.01v. I assume that means they're good.