Question about PS board and power transformer

Jim R. · 7761

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:37 AM
Hi Paul,

In the Paramount II thread you mentioned that you'd eventually like to have the power transformers built with solder lugs and place the PSU board on standoffs and I was just wondering if you were planning on doing this for the stereomour as well.

Since it's a new year, can I ask if there is any more news?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:12:55 PM
Hey Jim-

The short answer is "yes".

The Paramount power transformer has PC-mount pins that penetrate the power supply board; solder holds the board to the transformer. That turns out to make the board nearly impossible to remove, and if you made a mistake on the board, or want to change a component, it's quite a mess.

For the Stereomour I though I would solve that problem by using board-mounted 1/4-inch slip-on connectors. This is how we built the first prototype. It turns out they fit so tight that with all ten of them, you practically need a crowbar to get the so-called slip-on connectors off. I know when I'm licked; it's back to mounting the board a bit higher and wiring the transformer terminals to the board for both amps.

As for the schedule, we seem to be having some communication difficulties with our transformer supplier at the moment, as they are going through some personnel changes. Bottom line is we have not yet seen the final output transformer samples with which to build a working prototype that we can test for performance. Naturally, their problems started just when we identified this one last change, and just as the Thanksgiving / Christmas / New Year's holiday season hit us all. It's been very frustrating! I do have some backup plans if this does not get resolved pretty soon.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:27:15 PM
Thanks, Paul, and sorry to hear a bout the vendor problems.  Hopefully all of that will clear up soon enouugh.

Good things are always worth waiting for, and I'm sure the
Stereommour will be no exception.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)