stereomour newbie

rockdrummer · 8522

Offline rockdrummer

on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:01 AM
 ;D

Okay, so i am a total newbie but a diy-coholic. I built a pair of gr research monitors for my parents. I am onto a sub and monitors for my brother and talked my wife into a stereomour earlier than i thought i would!!! It is presently on order. However, i dont have the right speakers for them yet. Going to build a pair of gr research super v speakers. Anyway....
I am also, like other newbie posters, nervous but excited to get started. I have minimal soldering skills and am working to practice that too. I have a weller 100 watt soldering gun with who knows what kind of tips. Will order solder and possibly some other things to assist as i plan. Anyway, i have already felt welcome and know whatever help i need will be abundant with this great online community. Thanks and more to come.
Ben Young

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:03:17 AM
Hi Ben and welcome. My advice is to save the solder gun for big stuff like speaker terminals and get a real solder station for amp kit building. It does not have to be a really expensive one and it could make the difference between a frustrating build and a very pleasant one. You might have a look at the tech tools section of this forum for recommendations.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:23 AM
Doc, that was just what Grainger mentioned. I will plan on that as my next purchase. I was very sad ehen i was done soldering the speakers i built and i think the same will go with this build. I will go very slow and enjoy every minute of it. With the right tools that is!
Ben

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:43 PM
Hi Ben,

Soldering IRONs are really cheap. I like the 40w. The main thing with soldering electronics is to clean the tip frequently with a wet sponge before you solder, and use leaded 60/40 solder. It melts really quick, that way each solder takes 1-2 seconds max.

cheers - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:30:29 PM
I wanted to double-check the solder purchase.  I was under the impression silver solder was best.  If I get 60/40 -- tin/lead solder, is that just fine?

Will practice some soldering this week when my concerts are done.  Elementary music teacher and Music Liturgist wife.  Busy time of year for us, and pretty much everybody.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Thanks,
Ben

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:04:08 PM
Lead/tin is a good way to go. Just go to Radio Shack, Fry's or whatever and get their electronic solder, I think the thin stuff is easier to use...John 

PS. anyone know how to make the italics stop when you're done with it? 

John S.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:59 AM

[ i ] starts italics, [ / i ] stops the italics (with the spaces removed)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:58:11 PM
My amp has left and has probably moved across Montana towards MN by now!!! Yippee!  I'm very excited. 

i also will be ordering my new speaker kit this week.  Don't know how I talked my wife into that, but she is getting to choose yet another Disney vacation.  Not that they aren't fun.  But I digress....

The bulk of the work the stereomour is going to do will be run the coax drivers.  I want to say they are crossed over to the sub amp at 200hz.  Will it be worth putting a high pass filter in the line to take the 200hz and below out of the mix even if the coax aren't going to run it?  I know the bottlehead can take it, I just hear things about making the amp load even easier.  Would it matter?

Thanks,
Ben

PS   CAN'T WAIT!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:22:52 PM
The bulk of the work the stereomour is going to do will be run the coax drivers.  I want to say they are crossed over to the sub amp at 200hz.  Will it be worth putting a high pass filter in the line to take the 200hz and below out of the mix even if the coax aren't going to run it?  I know the bottlehead can take it, I just hear things about making the amp load even easier.  Would it matter?

Is the sub amp taking the speaker level inputs, or will you wire a line level out from the Stereomour?

The Stereomour has two easy places to implement a high pass filter - in the 0.1uF coupling cap, and the parallel feed cap.

Paul Joppa generally recommends downsizing the parallel feed cap, and I think he prefers this because doing so can drop the physical size and cost of the cap (so you can use a nicer part) and it will kick out some of the 60Hz hum from the DHT filament.  (I haven't asked PJ about this specifically, these are my assumptions).

I don't see why you couldn't also lower the value of the 0.1uF coupling cap (or lower the value of the 249K grid leak resistor) in accordance with shrinking the parallel feed capacitors for an even steeper rolloff (if you want it).

Still, I'd build it bone stock first, then mess around with these things.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46:44 PM
I must have mis-communicated - for crossovers, I prefer to put the filter as early in the chain as possible.

Putting it at the amp input means an additional capacitor, so that's a tradeoff.

Putting it between the driver and output (the 0.1uF coupling cap) relieves the power tube of bass duties, but does not relieve the driver. The driver (in my designs anyhow) has some headroom, but not a lot. For crossovers below 100Hz it's not unreasonable.

I'd only put a small cap in the parafeed position if it is necessary to protect the HF driver - I've done that in the Bottlehead Big System for the ribbon tweeter. But we have recently moved from the SR45 to a Paramount 300B to good effect, because there is not enough protection for the driver and power tubes with the cap there. I'd prefer to put another highpass filter before the amp, but at the moment that seems to be too much filtering for the crossover integration to work well.

Paul Joppa

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 12:25:47 PM
Merry Christmas to me!!!  Just unpacked my stereomour kit.  OMG I can't wait.  I also ordered the top half of my GR Research Super V kit today. 

I will have caps to use as a high pass filter, and will need to look into how to implement that.  I am going to look at the manual and start salivating. 

Packed wonderfully!  Thanks Doc B and Queen Eileen. 

Ben Young

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:29 PM
Hey Ben - Just curious, do you get some mints with the Stereomour? I thought that was a nice touch!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 01:10:38 PM
I will need to look again, if they were there, i missed the chocolates.

Confession time. I knew the dangers or voltage before ordering, but the ample warnings in the manual have since made me nervous. Im still going forward but good job on the attention to safety. Also, the detail and specifics in the manual are awesome. Wonderfully done and simple. First i am going to sand and paint he bells. More soon.
Ben

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 04:38:00 AM
Hello everyone.  It has been very cold here in Minnesota the last week.  No work whatsoever out in the garage:(

I was reading speaker wire posts recently and read about some speakers/amps that don't sound good with braided cables.  About a month ago I bought some Kimber Kable 4PR.  It is their cheap braided bulk cable.  I read it will be better than my monster cable stuff I have.  Anyway, any experience with braided cables and Stereomour I should be concerned about?  I did some searches and found some placement issues concerning power sources but didn't find any about the amp and cable being problematic together.

Thanks, and hope everyone up north here is staying warm!!

Ben

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 06:26:50 AM
Hey Ben - IMO Kimber makes good sounding wire. It will be better than anything Monster makes. In general, wire can be very tricky. Its hard to generalize. You have to experiment. I would try various low cost trusted names and see what sounds best in your system. Most of the high end companies seem to have a certain 'house sound'. I have been happy with the sound of JPS Labs wire. Put them on your short list. - cheers - Eric

Eric