Channel balance

Zimmer64 · 4289

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 07:47:01 AM
Hello,

I was now able to verify that the issue is related to the potentiometer. I bridged the pot as instructed by PB and thus turning the Quickie into mono. Now the volume level was the same on both channels. I will replace the pot shortly.

Thank you for your help! I learned something new in the process (which is part of the fun ;D )!

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:31 PM
good go Michael! - you will be our pot expert!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 01:10:20 PM
I never actually used the 'stock' pot because I had some Alps pots kicking around. Its kind of a 'no brainer' upgrade. After I got that one to work, I built the 'pull out all the stops' boutique model. Now that's my baby!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 01:39:42 AM
Just to report back:

I have now replaced the pot with an Alps RK27 (they are about $20 over here)  and the channel balance is back to normal. The Alps also sounds better, more detailed and clearer.

I also put in Telefunken (NOS). I like the sound much better than with the RCA ones. Better bass and very nice mids.

Thank you guys for your help and advice! Being a beginner, I really appreciate to benefit from the community and to learn something new.

Best regards

Michael
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:05:26 AM by Zimmer64 »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:43:14 AM
Thanks for the update