Extended FPIII upgrade

autoformer · 2287

Offline autoformer

• S.E.X. with Orcas
on: December 12, 2012, 06:20:49 AM
I purchased the FPIII upgrade along with my FPIII last summer.  I'm just now getting around to building it and I'd better hurry because the BeePre is just around the corner!

Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should do the standard build first, then add the upgrade later, or whether it makes more sense to do the upgrade at the time of the build.  Something tells me that I might end up with a cleaner build doing the latter, but then again I miss the opportunity to hear the before and after.  And it might make troubleshooting more difficult.

What do you think?

Jim Laurel

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:33:51 AM
Build it stock first, then sdd the upgrade. Much easier to troubleshoot any build problems that way.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:26:33 AM
And if you wanted to find a way to totally overwhelm and stymie progress with scope creep, do the original build plus enhanced upgrade plus convert to octal tubes...don't ask me how I know...

Offline debk

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:58:19 AM
Not only is it easier to troubleshoot building it stock first.  But by doing it this way you can listen to it and hear what the changes do to the the sound.

I built my FPIII stock, listened to it for a few week and then did the Extended upgrade.  Glad I did it this way

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline autoformer

• S.E.X. with Orcas
Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:03:15 AM
Thanks everyone.  I'll do the stock build first.  Heading into the shop now and looking forward to slinging some solder.

Jim Laurel