Foreplay II buzz-need help with snubbers

manfred99 · 18502

Offline manfred99

on: January 09, 2010, 09:11:24 AM
I searched other areas for this topic and couldn't find anything, if I am posting in the wrong area, please point me in the right direction.

I recently purchased a very clean, well built example of a Foreplay II preamp with C4S upgrade, works very well, better sonics than my ASL preamp. But it does have a slight upper frequency buzz in both channels that comes through the speakers. I have viewed many posts in the archived Bottlehead forum about this problem and need some help in installing the snubbers which may(or may not)help alleviate the problem. I have changed tubes with several different sets, turned off all electrical devices on the circuit, ran a ground between the Foreplay and the amps(Dodd Audio mono blocks), removed the cable TV line. The hum remains. The hum does go away when preamp is turned off. The hum was not present with the ASL preamp.

Can anyone explain where the HV snubbers go in the preamp, and what parts do I need to at least try this. I do have soldering skills, though I would be better off looking at pics of the installed snubbers rather than try and decipher schematics.

An e-mail with pics would be of great help.
Tom
Portland, Oregon

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:00 AM
Before diving into this, are you certain that the problem arises in the preamp?  If it is a power supply induced noise you can turn the preamp off and before the capacitors discharge the buzz will stop.  That is, as soon as the switch is off the buzz will be gone.  Maybe it will be more apparent if you play some music and hear the buzz go away before the music fades out.

VoltSecond has a site with a lot of information on Legacy products.  This page has the HV Snubber on it, but the page also says filament snubber:

http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/foreplay_filament_snubber/Foreplay_filament_snubber.html

There is not a picture of the snubber on that page.  IIRC, it takes 2 - 5 terminal, terminal strips to construct the circuit.  These are still sold at RS.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:52:33 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline manfred99

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:23:07 PM
When I turn the preamp off, the buzz immediately stops. So where do I find "RS".

Tom
Portland, Oregon

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
I expect he is referring to "Radio Shack".  If you look at the underside of your FP Chassis plate, you will see that the parts are connected to 5 position terminal strips.  They have these very same strips at Radio Shack, or something remarkably like them, that they sell in a package of 3 or 4, IIRC.  In the '274-xxxx' series of parts, I believe.  Useful for mounting snubber parts.

If the sound you are hearing is a "buzzy" sound with a fundamental of 120 Hertz, the snubber will put a big dent in it.  If it is more like a hum at 60 Hertz, that will require something else.

Sorry, I don't have a picture for you, but surely someone else does; there had to have been quite a large number of snubbers installed in Foreplay 2's back in the day.  If all else fails, ping forum member Wardsweb; he takes excellent pictures of his work, and I would have to think he made and FP 2 with snubber at some point!

Jim C.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:38:07 PM
You might consider just replacing the UF4007 rectifier diodes with a pair of Cree Schottky diodes; the 600v ones should be sufficient. Schottkys don't have a reverse recovery spike, not even an ultra-fast one...

The virtue of this is that there is no modification of the circuit or layout to make.

Paul Joppa

Offline manfred99

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:36:42 PM
Thanks very much, I'll see if I can find where these diodes are and take it from there.

Tom
Portland, Or.

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline manfred99

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:53:19 PM
Anybody have a source in the USA for   UF4007 Schottky 600v diodes?

Thanks,Tom

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline Len

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:58:38 PM
Not sure about the US, though I think I saw them at Mouser.

In Canada, partsconnexion has them in different flavors.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/rectifier_diode_cree.html

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff

Offline manfred99

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:05:52 PM
Thanks so much, I hate to be a pest but what amperage should I use, or does it matter?

Tom

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline JC

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:48:04 PM
The UF4007 is a 1 Amp diode, with a reverse Voltage of 1000 Vdc.  As Paul noted, 600 Vdc should be adequate.  Truth be told, you could probably get by with less current, too.

I'm pretty sure the Schottkys will have a different designation.

Jim C.

Offline Len

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 03:47:57 AM
Since JC says it replaces a 1 amp diode, the cheaper 1 amp Cree should be fine.

Check with others on this forum whether you need a heatsink. I always heatsink mine, so I never checked the ratings for when a sink is required.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites

Offline manfred99

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:09:58 AM
Thanks very much for the help, hopefully this will get rid of the buzz.

Tom
Portland, Or.

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:06:21 AM
Cree CSD01060 is what we use in the Paramount and Eros. 600v, 1A, no heatsink. Less than $1 at DigiKey among others.

Paul Joppa

Offline manfred99

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 01:37:24 PM
The 4 diodes in my Foreplay II have 3 legs, all the Cree diodes I see at the 3 online sources I've found have 2 legs, including the CSD 01060. I may learn to live with this buzz, I may be in over my head on this one.

Tom
Portland, Or.

Tom
Portland, Or.

Offline Len

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 03:35:19 PM
I don't have a Foreplay, but by definition a diode should only have an input and an output.

A transistor would have 3 legs. Are you perhaps confusing them?

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites