FRANKENSTUNNED QUICKIE LAB

Guest · 2471

4krow

on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:46 PM
Someone suggested to me that I build Quickie for people who don't want to build them for themselves. Does this sound like a good idea?

Offline grufti

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:23 PM
Quickie, maybe. It is hard to imagine that a Quickie could do harm to someone or their possessions. This being the US and many people getting sued for totally random stuff, I personally still would not do it. The Quickie is not UL certified and I don't see how it could be. I don't even know, if it requires UL certification since it doesn't plug into the wall.

4krow

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:35:41 PM
I do not own any flashlights that are UL approved either. I would be willing to take that chance. You do have a good point though. Maybe I will add all the precautions normally given, 'DO NOT USE QUICKIE IN THE SHOWER, ETC'

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 12:43:22 PM
Hey Greg,

I too have considered doing some custom BH builds, but in addition to the reasons that Hans bings up, there is always that little maxim of business that can put a real damper on things -- the customer is always right.

Even selling used gear on audiogon and other places, this has bitten me in the butt in some completely irrational and wholly fabricated ways.

I'll do if for friends and relatives but as much as I'd love to put together some sonically and aesthetically superb systems for some folks, even on a very limited basis, I really don't want to ge burned by some idiot who has a bad day or just feels like making trouble.

You could build on spec and sell on audiogon or whatever and that may be a bit safer than contract builds.  May.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:57:49 PM
Good suggestions above - ebay or audiogone would be a good way to go. The thing is, you will grow to HATE the Quickie!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:31 PM
'DO NOT USE QUICKIE IN THE SHOWER, ETC'

DO NOT INGEST PREAMP. "Quickie" preamp is intended for external use only. 

In Case of Accidental Ingestion, seek medical attention.

Kevin R-M

4krow

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:33 PM
I gotta admit, I recently had my first issue with a customer who had some kind of trouble with a buffer amp that I made. Got it back, replaced the fuse, and it is fine as far as I know. I'm thinking he had some other problem with his system that caused the fuse to blow. I'll never know. When the unit was shipped back to me, it had physical damage to the case. Crappy packing does it every time!

Offline grufti

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:39 PM
Do not use pliers to extract glass object! Batteries when ingested by small children may cause health problems!