How to lock chassis to wooden frame?

adamct · 7645

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: January 15, 2013, 02:16:44 PM
I just recently built a Crack+Speedball. It was my first headphone amp build, and I am addicted. I found building the amp oddly relaxing. And as for the sound...wow! I'm in love.

I really only have a few complaints:

1. I use the Crack in a well-ventilated rack. But the power switch is way in the back, which is awkward for me to reach.
2. The volume control is pretty close to the front tube. Not ideal when fumbling in a dark room for the volume.
3. The power cord socket feels too plastic-y and a bit cheap.
4. The same thing applies to the headphone jack. This was the biggest surprise. I would have expected them to use something more robust.
5. The fact that the chassis lifts up everytime I remove a pair of headphones.

Any suggestions for 4 or 5? I'm particularly surprised I couldn't find anything to address #5 within the Bottlehead forum, but that may just be my inadequate search skills. I've picked up a couple of nylon tabs which I can screw into the wood frame surrounding the chassis plate, and which will then extend over the chassis itself, to keep it from lifting up. But before I drill holes in my frame, I thought I would check if anyone has a better, more visually appealing solution. Do you? I can't believe that I'm the only one this bothers or that nobody else has tried to fix it.

Also, any suggestions for a robus TRS headphone jack?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:24:13 PM
Hi Adam,

Several of us have drilled out the chassis and used the switchcraft pro locking headphone jack.

I did drill 4 holes into the top plate on the long sides, glued two cleats to the bottom, inside edge of the base, drilled holes to line up with those in the top plate, installed some #8 threaded inserts and then used some 3" long #8 carriage bolts to bolt the top down to the chassis.

Another appproach, which Clark Blumenstein uses with his plyboo bases is a saw kerf slot that holds the plate in the frame itself.  This works great too

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:45 PM
I've never done it, but thought about securing the top a lot.  I figured the best way might be to fashion some flat triangular pieces of hardwood over each corner and secure them with a nice brass wood screw.  I always thought if I built amp to take to work I would want to do this for safety reasons.  Along with some kind of grate on the bottom.

Love to see what you come up with.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline adamct

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:56:45 PM
Thanks, Jim. I have an almost pathological hatred of locking jacks. Frankly, I just don't understand them. I've never had a pair of headphones accidentally become unplugged, and in any situation where I can imagine it happening, I would WANT the headphones to become unplugged, rather than yanking on the amp and risking damage. The only thing they do is make removing headphones more of a PITA, as it becomes a two-handed (or at best an awkward one-handed) operation.

I already felt this way about locking 1/4" TRS jacks, but my fury has been rekindled recently. I just bought a Woo Audio WA22. For reasons that I can only assume are related to colossal design stupidity, the damn thing uses a locking 4-pin XLR jack, but it doesn

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:52 PM
I've never done it, but thought about securing the top a lot.  I figured the best way might be to fashion some flat triangular pieces of hardwood over each corner and secure them with a nice brass wood screw.  I always thought if I built amp to take to work I would want to do this for safety reasons.  Along with some kind of grate on the bottom.

Love to see what you come up with.
Over the years, I think this has been the most popular approach. Some have put in threaded inserts, since screwing into end grain is problematical if you unscrew it very often.  :^)

I think this comes down to the diversity within the Bottlehead family. It started with the hard-core DIY/eXperimenter crowd (of which I am a member), who flip their amp over to check things or make changes so often that any fastening is a hindrance and annoyance. I actually proved this to myself by screwing down a chassis plate on my original S.E.X. amp. Eventually I just threw away the screws ...  :^)  ... but I do understand the impulse!

Paul Joppa

Offline adamct

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:49 PM
My problem is just that I tend to switch headphones a lot. Right now, the headphone jack grips the headphone plugs pretty firmly, so when I pull on the plug, the whole chassis lifts out, which always shocks me. I don't want to damage the tubes doing that some day. Of course, the solution is to hold down the chassis when unplugging headphones, but my setup makes that a bit awkward. I think I will go with my original idea, and then post pictures when I'm done. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it is possible to paint/color nylon screws/washers/tabs/etc.?

Best,
Adam

Offline VoltSecond

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:28:41 PM
In my other Bottlehead gear, after I got it painted and close to working the way I wanted, I used a thick bead of clear silicon glue.  I was careful to make it a surface only bead (not get it in the gap between the plate and the wood) so I could cut it if I needed to remove it.

After the silicon is there, you can't paint it over it.  The corner cleats sounds like a better idea if there is any chance you'll want to take the cover off.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:04 AM
Someone may have said this before but, you can glue a square cross section piece of wood in the four corners of the base.  Make them flush with where the top plate rests.  Then drill a hole in each corner of the top plate so you can screw the four corners down to the wood you just glued.

This doesn't give any support in the middle of the long side.  So you can glue two other pieces at the center of the long side and drill/screw them to the top plate too.  That is 6 screws and it will hold pretty well. 

Edit: I didn't know how tight the Crack back corner is.  That would make this suggestion less than optimal for Crack.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:45:30 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:35:36 AM
I too thought about the corners/squares in the bocx corners but there is just so little room left to work with in the corner by the ac power inlet that I finally decided to do the 4 long bolts on the sides.  Clark's solution is the most elegant, though it reqquires removing one of the ennd panels to get the plate out.

Anyway, there are, lots of ways to approach this and as usual, BH folks are  pretty diverse and inventive in their creeativity.

Oh, another one I have planned on trying is to use a variation on the corner block approach -- epoxy some threaded hex aluminum standoffs in each corner and then use some #6 or #8 machine screws into them.

You can typically paint nylon parts with an epoxy based paint but it would probably help if you could scuff up the pieces a bit first.

HTH,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:06 AM
A Blumenstein Bamboo base will keep the chassis plate from lifting up.  I generally rest part of my hand on the plate while lifting the plug out.

With some reasonably basic woodworking tools, you could build a base to do the same thing.

There are quite a few different choices of high end headphone jacks.  We chose a Neutrik jack that has a fair amount of flexibility; part of the fun of DIY is that you can change whichever parts you like.  We must also consider inventory when we select parts for a kit, and the Neutrik locking Jacks are not as consistently well-stocked as the other Neutrik jack we use.

There is also a grounding modification that would be impossible with the locking jack, and the stock jack allows for a preamplifier output to be added (if desired) that would cut out if headphones were plugged in.

I've never heard any criticism of the IEC inlet, they seem to have a death-grip on the chassis plate.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:42 PM
Not a very good picture but what I have done is drill a screw hole in the wood at the edge of the plate. The washers are i think called countersink washers, meant to be used with flat or oval head screws. Got them at Home Desperate. Or you could just use flat washers, or large headed screws...John 

John S.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:50 PM
John,

I belive those are called cup washers.  Great idea though!

-- Jim

Offline STURMJ

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 06:14:27 AM
I prefer using silicone calking to "glue" the plate to the base.  The hold is sufficient for plugging and unplugging everything, and even moving the entire unit by grabbing the transformer (but I put a hand on the base ASAP when doing this).  When you want to mess around with the insides, you just push out the plate from the backside, can be a little tricky but never had a problem. Its easy to clean off the silicone and put a new bead in the channel. Also, when replacing the plate with new silicone it wipes up nicely off the wood base and top plate. 

Offline adamct

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:41:51 PM
The silicone sounds like a good idea. This is what I came up with. The nylon bits and screws were pennies apiece.

(https://www.head-fi.org/image/id/3884574/width/900/height/900/flags/LL)
(https://www.head-fi.org/image/id/3884573/width/900/height/900/flags/LL)
(https://www.head-fi.org/image/id/3884581/width/900/height/900/flags/LL)

Best regards,
Adam

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 06:50:20 PM
I like it. You got that quick disconnect action, perfect for the midnight mod  :)...John

John S.