Cap upgrades (bear with me)

adamct · 22239

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:36 AM
Thanks, Grainger. FYI, I am in the U.S. And I apologize for misunderstanding your wire suggestion yesterday, I thought you were suggesting that as a make-do option in a pinch, rather than a long-term solution. I'm sure I can find that in a nearby hardware store.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:05 AM
No problem.

I'm going to put IEC connectors on the back of my Paramour bases.  I have a stack of toroid ferrites in the hot leg that will be secured to the base also.

Then I will run this same kind of wire to my power inlet terminal strip.  I got it at Home Depot.  The Paramour, ones, did not have an IEC connector.  

This wire is very flexible.  We used it in the mills I worked in for all kinds of things.  Think of a commercial drill, black flexible cord.  This is SO.

Offline adamct

Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 09:16:24 AM
I thought about posting this on the main board, but then figured I would give first shot to those who have been helping me in this thread....is anyone interested in joining me to buy a GEC Straight Brown Base 6AS7G A1834 CV2523 at a very good price?

;D
Adam

Offline adamct

Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 04:19:24 PM
Grainger,

I got some 16/3 SJO cable today, thanks. I also picked up some 14 AWG stranded THHN (Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon coated) copper wire rated for 600V. This would be a little easier to use. Any reason not to use it? I note the following from a web search "THHN uses a thinner PVC insulation which is a key factor in terms of its electrical properties. This thinner insulation can often lead to a current leakage and even a breakdown during chemical or environmental exposure. The PVC insulation in THHN also creates a toxic smoke when burned therefore making it undesireable in certain applications." Obviously I should try to avoid burning it and huffing the fumes, but is it otherwise OK?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 05:18:16 PM
I also picked up some 14 AWG stranded THHN (Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon coated) copper wire [...] This would be a little easier to use. Any reason not to use it?

Stranded wire is very difficult to use during construction.  Try shoving four stripped ends of that wire through a terminal strip hole, the strands will fan out and touch other terminals and go places you don't want them to.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #80 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:08 PM
Hey Adam - These guys are a good place to buy wire IMO. I have used their silver wire for everything. Their prices are reasonable (I guess thats relative).

http://www.homegrownaudio.com/

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Reply #81 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:01 PM
So.......there is good news, and there is bad news.

The good news is that I am almost certain that I know what the problem is.  :D

The other piece of good news is that it wasn't due to me having any bad solder joints.  ;D

The bad news is....I think one of my very expensive caps is broken.  :'(

When I desoldered the caps to allow me to remove the chassis from the frame, I noticed that one of the leads to one of the caps was, for lack of a better word, limp. The ClarityCaps have fairly stiff solid core copper leads, but one of them was limp. I think the solid core of the lead broke within the insulation sleeving, very, very, VERY close to the cap itself (although the insulation is still intact). This is a real problem. If it were further from the cap, I would just cut the lead where broken and solder a new fly lead to the remaining piece of good lead on the cap. But the break in the lead on the cap is so close to the cap, that I suspect there is hardly anything left for me to solder a new lead onto, and I'm worried that the heat from the solder iron would damage the cap even if I tried.

That basically means I have no option but to try and return the cap, but I have doubts that they will accept a return where the tips of the leads show evidence of having been soldered. That probably means I spent $90 for a paperweight.

Since the lead is still in the insulation, which itself is intact, I think that when I turned the Crack over, the broken lead moved a bit within the insulation. Just enough to make contact. But when I turned it over and started playing music, after 10-20 minutes, the lead or cap would settle just enough to lose contact again.  The cap would slowly discharge, which would explain why the sound would gradually fade out, rather than being a sharp break. Every time I turned the Crack over to try and diagnose the problem, the lead and/or cap would shift again, just enough to make contact. Then the cycle would start again: I turn on the amp, listen to music in both channels, but then the lead/cap settles in and contact is lost again. Etc., etc.

Grrrrrrrr.....I really hope Madisound stands behind their goods and sends me a replacement....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:34:31 PM by adamct »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #82 on: January 29, 2013, 02:40:23 AM
You can't know that the cap is bad till you have it in the circuit.  You might have a chance with a return.

THHN, IIRC, has thicker strands than SJO.  The smaller the strand the more flexible the wire.  At Alcoa and K-C we ran multi-conductor cables of THHN.  So it pulls well and terminates easily in an industrial situation.  As Paul points out larger stranded wire is a booger to get into a small terminal strip hole.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #83 on: January 29, 2013, 02:59:24 AM
I broke off a lead like that on one of my big caps. I guess I bent the wire too many times. I think the copper leads are very fragile that way. That explains your symptoms. Bummer!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Reply #84 on: January 29, 2013, 07:16:19 AM
BIG props to Madisound! I just called them and they agreed to send me a new cap without any hassle whatsoever. Nice to get good service like that. The guy I spoke to (also named Adam) was very friendly.

I think the lead must have been damaged/weakened in transit. It was EXTREMELY cold last week, and I suspect that the leads became brittle, then got jostled enough in transit to create a problem.

Anyway, I can't wait to get the new cap and finally be able to enjoy the Crack again. I took the opportunity to also order a 2.2uf ESA ClarityCap, so I can bypass the last transformer cap, too.

Thanks to everyone who has been patiently helping me diagnose this problem!

Best,
Adam

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #85 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:54 PM
Adam,

Yes, I've never had anything but first rate service from Madisound.  Also, congrats on nailing down the problem -- that was some nice detective work there!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #86 on: January 30, 2013, 03:05:15 AM
2+ for Madisound!

Eric

Offline BNAL

Reply #87 on: February 01, 2013, 06:30:23 AM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1278.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy504%2FBNAL%2Fcrackcap2_zps52e6d5b7.jpg&hash=9699edad68fe11bbb3854b49d701d738c07436b8)

This is how I mounted my caps the top plate. I used a glued a PVC end cap to a wire tie holder. As you can see from the picture I drilled a hole in the PVC end cap so that I could use a wire to secure the cap. In the past a I had a big motor run cap with a Russian Teflon bypass cap on this holder.

This way the caps clear everything and I can still get under the hood.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline adamct

Reply #88 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:38 PM
Just a quick update: I installed the new ClarityCap ESA 100 uf output cap I got from Madisound. I took the opportunity to also order an ESA 2.2 uf cap to bypass the last cap on the power supply. Installing that one was...um...not fun (its getting #%^

Offline corndog71

Reply #89 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:03 PM
When I OD on my stereo it usually means passing out only to be jerked awake at 4:00AM by a particularly dynamic passage.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob