interesting quote regarding cryo treatment

Doc B. · 6803

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: January 18, 2013, 06:31:26 AM
Tests done by Boeing/Sunstrand demonstrated cryogenic processing extended the life of circuit boards in military applications, specifically boards used in cruise missiles. Tests done by Honeywell on experimental thin film magnetic memory wafers showed increased conductivity of metallic layers, reduced residual stress between layers, and possible (but not fully confirmed) "healing" of vacancies in the layers. Tests on transformers showed treated transformers had significantly less hysterisis. The magnetic core saturated less. Tests on transistors showed a decrease in rise time. Other tests indicate greatly increased contact life on relays, switches, and circuit breakers.

I found this quote on a thread on the gearpage having to do with cryo treated guitar pickups. Don't know the original source
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:33:07 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:20:15 AM
It might be cool to dip a pair of OPT and A/B the sonic results.  Thanks for posting this Dan :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:25 AM
We have compared, many years ago. What I recall was that the cryo'd trans sounded a little more smooth and "broken in".

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:34 AM
My recollection is that the difference was incredibly tiny. These were Magnequest B7-5K preamp output transformers, with low-nickel cores. I still have the test box, it was a parafeed amp with switchable amounts of plate choke inductance. A 10% increase in inductance was much more clearly audible than the difference between the OPTs. Thing had Infinicaps at the output - those were hot stuff back then. (I just pulled it out to check.)

At around that time, everyone who tried agreed that de-magnetizing your tubes was seriously worthwhile. Haven't heard much about that recently. Of course, we were also de-gaussing our CDs and painting the edges green back then.

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:37 PM
I am still very resistant to such 'tweaks'. Mind you, I come from the camp of 'wire is wire'. I have learned more since, but the 'quantum' stuff etc. is still snake oil to me.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 04:51:58 PM
Hmm,  All this time I've been painting the whole CD green...John

John Scanlon

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:19 PM
I havent done that, but I do have MANY boutique fuses. So there.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline saildoctor

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:05 PM
Huh - I wonder if the extended circuit board life could be attributed to reducing tin whiskers?

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/background/index.htm

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 04:24:35 AM
   .  .  .   At around that time, everyone who tried agreed that de-magnetizing your tubes was seriously worthwhile.   .  .  .   Of course, we were also de-gaussing our CDs and painting the edges green back then.

Now I have a use for that old bulk tape demagnetizer I have.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:43:45 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline corndog71

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:10:04 AM

Now I have a use for that old bulk tape demagnetizer I have.

Hah! I still have one of those!

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Armaegis

Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:26:07 PM
How exactly does one increase the life of a cruise missile? I mean... it goes boom. Not much life beyond that.  :o

Cryo treatments have the potential to induce phase changes/precipitation or recrystallization in materials, particularly if they are under a lot of stress (as thin films tend to be, depending on the method of manufacture).  Such changes then will typically result in a reduction of said residual stress. Larger bulk materials would likely benefit more from a heat treatment and more careful manufacturing methods than a cryo "fix".

4krow

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:24 PM
What hasn't been cryoed? I saw an experiment with expensive blades for hand planes that had undergone this treatment. Much to the praise of the hand plane company that did the experiments, they said that there was no significant advantage for this treatment. Yah blades and tubes and wire are all different, so I am open to anything that might improve performance for a particular part. It's just that so often, in such discoveries, it is sold as the 'answer'. They call it marketing. On the other hand, there quite a few things that are worthwhile to try. Maybe that is our job.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 04:10:26 AM
You can order your favorite razor cartridges cryo'ed. They are expensive (more than usual ) , but I have heard good reviews.

Offline docbob52

Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 06:58:46 AM
Very interesting post.

As a dentist, I daily employ various heat and cold treatments in the lab to change the grain structure of various metals (usually gold, copper platinum and palladium) in order to alter their physical and working properties.  The changes in the microscopic grain structure after cryogenic or heat treatment is clearly evident under a scanning electron microscope and is taught in all metallurgical engineering curriculums. It has in fact been used for thousands of years dating back to the metal artisans in ancient china. 

Denis Boyle the electrical engineer who owns Chimera Labs,  advocates and sells cryogenically treated OCCC wire in all his litz braided wire and cables.  http://www.chimeralabs.com  I have a bunch of his raw wire here and have used it for numerous DIY cables and internal wiring.  Dennis is one of the most knowledgeable Valve SET guys I have had contact so I am confidant that there is really something to it.  Unfortunately, for me Litz braiding over 3 strands as a bitch for me!

http://www.chimeralabs.com/faq.html

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

4krow

Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 11:26:45 AM
cryo treatment does tug on me now and then. I want to ask what happens to a tube that was first cryoed, changing the grain structure of it's metal parts. Then when heated to operating temps, does that undo the 'goodness' of cryo treatment in the first place? Kind of like taking the temper out of a blade. All in all, I think that there is much that we don't know, but that doesn't mean it is suspect.