Buffer Amp?

Guest · 3970

4krow

on: January 22, 2013, 08:40:24 AM
Am I out of line thinking that the BP could be altered to use as a buffer amp?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:43:49 AM
Hello Greg,

Sure, the BeePre can serve as a buffer.  I suppose most would consider a buffer to have unity gain or slightly less than unity gain, so you could trim the input level down until the input and output are matched, then replace the controls with fixed resistors.

IMO, there is no strong reason to convert the BeePre to a cathode follower.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:10 AM
Exactly what I was asking about. Thanks. Yah, I realize that this idea would not be the intended purpose for this unit. Can't help my curiosity about all things audio.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:59 AM
Yeah, you would have to figure out what to do with all those extra holes on the back!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:43:03 PM
Hey Greg - where my logic takes me (I'm not saying my logic is a good thing - as you know - the wasted mind is a terrible thing to get) is that a buffer, and to some extent a pre-amp can be seen as a 'correction' for things that may not be up to sound standards for said downstream equipment. It MAY be better to correct said problems before they need to be corrected. This is a good reason for going tubes from the get go. Its also a good reason to clean and optimize the digital from the get go.

I have come to this 'realization' through harmless play in the digital realm. I dont mean to stomp on the turn table aficionados, but, you are a bit limited when you are in the analog realm.... Lets see, ok, where was I going with this? Oh, yea, go upstream sailor!

god speed! peace, love, dope, tubes etc. - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:12 PM
My thoughts exactly, now give 'em back