Introducing Quickie 1.1

Doc B. · 25780

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:20 AM
With the periodic price increases from our suppliers and the relative scarcity of the power switch used in the original Quickie, we were faced with having to raise the price of the kit and deal with continual back orders. So PJ and PB revisited the original design looking at all possible areas for improvement. The goals were to maintain the $99 price point, to find a better arrangement for switching power, and to make any improvements that were learned over the past four years.

The most visible change was to use a single switch to heat the tubes and select the inputs. This makes wiring the preamp quite a bit easier, and phases out that pesky power switch.  While we were at it, we replaced all the resistors in the kit with higher quality Vishay-Dale parts, and even used audio-grade cathode bypass capacitors that appear in our top of the line BeePre 300B preamp. Additional tweaks to the chassis eliminated several holes and one entire tool from production, helping to keep the price unchanged. 

The result is the same exceptional sound quality with fewer parts, easier construction, and more room for upgraded parts.

All outstanding orders will be filled with this new version.

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php/products/quickie-battery-tube-preamplifier

(http://www.bottlehead.com/sc_images/products/438_image.jpg)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:01:03 AM
Looks great! So those differently colored plates are a thing of the past? What happens to the extra stock, if you have any? I wouldn't mind switching out my yellow one for a different shade...

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline balancedtriode

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:13:49 AM
will the plates be metal  :o
one can only hope.
I should order one soon

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline Wanderer

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:23:29 AM
Too bad you can't add a voice chip that shouts; HEY!!! HEY !!!! TURN ME OFF DAMNIT! BATTERIES COST MONEY YA KNOW!!   

Amazed at keeping the $99 price.

Any of the resistor and cap changes make an audible improvement? 

Kevin R-M

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:45:33 AM
The plates will still be randomly colored acrylic, as it says in the product description. They will never be metal in a $99 kit. I like Dales so I would say yeah, this version maybe sounds a tiny bit better than the original. Or maybe I can just talk myself into that notion easily.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:00 AM
The random plate colors will indeed continue, as that is actually part of how the price is kept low (I take the odd bits and pieces that would otherwise be scrap).

With the new Quickie, it's much easier to look at the kit and know that the power is on or off.  For mine, I have the volume knob pointing up for no volume, and the power/input switch pointing up for no power.  I can see them across the room and know that both need to be pointing up to be off.

As an added bonus, a Goldpoint selector switch will now integrate nicely into this kit. 

The sonic impacts of the changes are noticeable, but not night and day (like the PJCCS). It's difficult to say which one made the greatest impact, as they were all done at once. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Wormwood

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:57 AM
So do both upgrades (there are two, right?) work with the 1.1?

Stephen

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:34:45 AM
Just have to smile -- you guys are just amazing!  Has it really been 4 years already?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 11:50:13 AM
So do both upgrades (there are two, right?) work with the 1.1?

PJCCS works with the 1.1, but with a small tweak to the circuit.  Basically, the new Quickie does not shut off the B+ supply, and the PJCCS relies on this supply for biasing.  What PJ and I came up with was to use a current sensing transistor to turn on the PJCCS biasing automatically when the preamp is turned on.

It sounds really fancy, but it's two extra parts per channel.

The manual and the PJCCS kit will have instructions and parts for either Quickie.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline xcortes

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:14 PM
One day I'll build me a Quickie on a metal chassis. That will preclude me from canibalizing it as I did with my first two.

Xavier Cortes

4krow

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:14:59 PM
One day I'll build me a Quickie on a metal chassis. That will preclude me from canibalizing it as I did with my first two.
Make it brass. You won't regret it.

Offline balancedtriode

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 03:58:44 PM
Wow I like the pearl chassis when I first saw it I though it looked like a neat metal finish. that is really cool!

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline mortron

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:47:24 AM
Doc, can one upgrade to this schematic from an existing Quickie? I want better too! Haha

Glad to see continued development of a great little kit. Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 08:56:24 AM
Doc, can one upgrade to this schematic from an existing Quickie? I want better too! Haha

This would involve additional machining of the original chassis plate (which is really tough with parts mounted) and another layout to accommodate the different parts.  All things considered, replacing the Quickie all together would be less expensive and easier.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:00 AM

This would involve additional machining of the original chassis plate (which is really tough with parts mounted) and another layout to accommodate the different parts.  All things considered, replacing the Quickie all together would be less expensive and easier.
Especially with the crazy low price of the quickie!