Introducing Quickie 1.1

Doc B. · 25781

Offline aragorn723

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 06:21:52 AM
As an added bonus, a Goldpoint selector switch will now integrate nicely into this kit. 

The sonic impacts of the changes are noticeable, but not night and day (like the PJCCS). It's difficult to say which one made the greatest impact, as they were all done at once.

Has anyone with the Quickie 1.1 thought about upgrading any of the new components (bypass caps and resistors) ?  They sound more high-end but i wonder if there is still more room to squeeze a little more performance out?  Maybe with an upgraded volume control too?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 06:25:11 AM
The volume control and selector switch are a good place to start, but they also cost the most money to upgrade.

There are plenty of ~150uF small voltage electrolytics out there, I'd recommend buying 10-20 different pairs and trying them all.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 06:49:19 AM
PB,

What would be a good goldpoint switch, and what if one wanted to have 3 or 4 inputs, could that still work?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:21:50 AM
What would be a good goldpoint switch, and what if one wanted to have 3 or 4 inputs, could that still work?

You'd want a single deck, 4 pole, 3 position Goldpoint switch.

If you want more inputs, you'd need a 2 deck goldpoint with 2 poles and six positions per deck.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:15 AM
You'd want a single deck, 4 pole, 3 position Goldpoint switch...

Oh good, I just happen to have one of those.

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

4krow

Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 10:37:33 AM
What was I supposed to do!? I had no choice! A black faceplate is offered, and Bang! I bit. It was hard enough to resist the 1.1 improvement. Time to look for caps....

Offline rif

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 10:47:08 AM
Same here... before i knew what I was doing, my fingers were checking "yes, I'll have a wood base with that".

edit: font size, something odd is going on in my tablet's browser.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:05:50 AM by rif »

-david

4krow

Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 10:55:27 AM
They know our buttons RIF! But really just how much bait can a guy take? I somehow averted the compulsion to order the wood base. You know how it is, I always have a better idea...hope we made it into black plate que in time.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:40 AM
I bit too :-).  I haven't even built the first one yet, but know I'll want a second once I do.

BH folks, any idea on when the new version of the PJCCS will be available, or if there is a way to mod the original for the new components?

-- Jim

4krow

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 11:51:08 AM
Jim,
  I sold my first build, and cannot forget just how great the sound was. So, I also knew that in the future, I would build another, but had no idea that it would be an improved version,,,,with a black faceplate, and a hot tub! Ok, the hot tub might be BO. Now to plan for the new baby. What caps, what box, what ...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 02:30:34 PM
I bit too :-).  I haven't even built the first one yet, but know I'll want a second once I do.

BH folks, any idea on when the new version of the PJCCS will be available, or if there is a way to mod the original for the new components?

-- Jim

The new PJCCS is finished and shipping.  It includes provisions to modify either Quickie with the same kit of parts.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08:42 PM
Paul,
thanks.  Is there a way to modify the existing board for the new circuit?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 03:21:54 PM
The new circuit is built on essentially the same board, but builds into the amp differently, has four extra parts mounted to the board, and several additional jumpers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

4krow

Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 04:00:35 PM
Just thinking out loud here. I seem to remember a circuit that shut off when it sensed no signal. Gets me to thinking about such a possibility for the 'Q'. No doubt, it would be another substantial cost.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:21 PM
Such a circuit is possible, and with a directly heated preamp that comes on very quickly, it's probably not that unreasonable, but the sonic consequences of inserting such a device may be undesirable.

(We packed your Quickie today, by the way)

Paul "PB" Birkeland