Question on Resistor value

rockpassion · 3170

Offline rockpassion

on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:46 PM
I received my BeePre today, yeah!  Checking all my parts I have found one of the resistors value when measured with my DVM that it is different than the color code on the resistor.  The resistor in question is the first one shown on the parts list under the Filament regulator Bag heading.  It is shown as a 0.27 ohm resistor (black, red, violet, silver, brown).  However, when I measure it, it shows a .7 ohm resistance for both resistors.   

Will this still work or do I need a couple of new resistors.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:21:56 PM
What does your meter read when the probes are shorted to each other? 0.43 ohms, maybe? :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline rockpassion

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:39:52 PM
Thanks Paul, my DMM measures .2 ohms when shorted. 

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:19 AM
A DMM is at its worst reading low resistances, those under one ohm.  There is a costly industrial instrument made by Biddle (manufacturer of the Megger)  that measures low resistances.  I can't for the life of me remember the name right now.  I have used it to measure DC motor winding resistances down to 4 or 5 decimal places. 

Edit: Biddle makes a Ductor for low resistance readings.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:26:45 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline rockpassion

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:10:46 PM
Well Paul Joppa was right, imagine that!!!  I first shorted just the DMM probes and my reading was 0.2 ohms.  But, I was using a pair of leads with alligator clips so I tried shorting these leads.  And low and behold it was 0.4 ohms.  So when I subtract the 0.4 ohms from the 0.7 ohms I get 0.30 ohms which is close enough to the 0.27 ohms called for.  Didn't realize the leads would slightly increase the resistance readings.

Thanks again Paul.

Richard

Richard Vince

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:13:01 AM
Grainger,

It's called the Lohmeter.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:55:08 AM
Jim,

You are the one person here that I thought might know.  If it were an aircraft part Paul Joppa would know.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:28:41 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:06 AM
And who knew that the father of that cute little girl in 3rd grade would have a company that made equipment that would part of my daily work later on in life?  Meggers, Lohmeters, hi-potters and all kinds of other high-voltage, high-current test equipment.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)