Harrison Labs attenuators

adamct · 1914

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:22 AM
I've added two tweaks that now have my Crack sounding absolutely perfect to my ears: (a) I installed a TKD volume pot over the weekend to replace the stock pot. Initially I was skeptical that it was worth the $100, but then (b) I inserted a pair of Harrison Labs 12 dB attenuators (see link below). I did that for two related reasons: first, my DAC puts out quite a strong signal, and I just found the Crack was too loud unless I turned the volume almost all the way down, and second, I can now turn the volume up to around 11 o'clock (with 7 o'clock being no volume), where the new volume pot should be entering the region where it performs best.

Now, it may just be my imagination, but I feel as though that combo has made the Crack ever-so-slightly warmer, tamed the treble slightly and made it much more relaxing to listen to. In any case, I feel as though the change is at least comparable to the effect of installing the film caps (of course, that may not be saying much, since I can't measure that change, either). I should have my G.E.C. 6AS7G in the next day or so, and at that point I think I