Current pic

johnsonad · 13767

Offline johnsonad

on: February 20, 2013, 04:19:50 PM
I was able to get the vinyl rig up and spinning after the move from Japan.  Here is the Tube Phono trying on a new pair of Tele EF806S tubes.

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:09 PM
nice, but I think the little bunny needs a more prominent place in the kit... Maybe between the bottlehead and the turntable, or on top of the bottlehead? Not sure...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:38:56 PM
Thanks!  That's my wife's addition to the stack.  His name is Audio Bunny and gets moved around often.  If it keeps her happy and keeps my gear around I'm all about a little bunny :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:55 AM
Aaron,

I have an audio dog.  She has to sit between my calves when I am rocked back in the La-Z-Boy.  If I'm not rocked back she scratches at the foot of the chair.

I'm not familiar with that manufacturer, EXclusive.  The arm looks awesome and so does the table.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:30:58 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:18 AM
Grainger that is one of my gems from Japan. It's a Pioneer Exclusive P3 made around 1980. Not too many outside of Japan.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:04:47 AM
Oh sweet, you ended up with the red Tube Phono! 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:27:28 PM
Oh sweet, you ended up with the red Tube Phono!

She is a beauty. The red goes well with my system and the sound is great.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:21:19 AM
Aaron,

I wonder, do you see other Bottleheads in Japan?  I mean anyone else who knows what the Tube Phono is.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:55 AM
Grainger,

I'm back stateside (San Diego).  Being active duty Navy we tend to move around a bit.  I had one other Bottlehead friend in Japan.  He has posted here in the past but not recently.  There is a HUGE vacuum tube DIY community over there.  I attended a couple of events in Tokyo and haven't seen that much vacuum tube related stuff in one place ever.  Tokyo has multiple specialty tube, transformer and parts in general stores.  It was easier for me to take a trip to Akihabara than to order from Mouser or other places.  If you want to see where all of the vintage speakers and gear went from the 30's through 60's well it ended up in Japan.  I had a store two blocks from my place that specialized in vintage gear and I would take coffee there regularly listening to Garrard 301's to Marantz 7 and 9's to vintage Tannoy's or WE speakers.  It was a real treat!

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:57 AM
My S.E.X. amp was upgraded with the original Extended version with Magnequest iron while on deployment onboard the USS SAIPAN back in 2005. Since that time I have built two Foreplay III's, 2A3 Paramounts, and Crack. I keep a 2A3 tube on my desk at work.

By the way I'm stationed in San Diego.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:34:05 AM
Brad, we should get together sometime. I need to find other Bottleheads in the area.

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 04:41:49 AM
That would be great. I will send you a message.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus