Sr45 transformers

tsingle999 · 1485

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:34 PM
Somewhere i stumbled on a post about different transformers for the sr45. PJ mentioned the robin hoods. Would that be worth trying? I currently have 2004jrs. Would there be any other changes to make to it? How about the 2004sr? Thanks, Taran

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:26 PM
The Robin Hood is much different in size and impedance, hence a re-design - mechanical and electrical - would be called for to obtain optimal results. And frankly, the TFA-2004Jr is a superior design IMHO.

The TFA-2004 Senior could be a step up - hard to believe since by the numbers the Junior is plenty adequate for a 45 (it can handle a 300B quite well ...) and the Junior should have slightly better treble. For a 45, there is not much point in getting anything less than the full-nickel core though. But having heard a couple John Tucker 45 amps with nickel-core TFA-2004s, I am confident there is an improvement. It does fit the chassis, though you would have to drill new mounting holes and a grommeted hole for the leads.

Paul Joppa

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:54:01 PM
Ok i will try that:) i have nickel sr's. (i'm still trying to find an amp for my fs100 plate chokes -that might be overkill!)thanks Paul!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:54 AM
Taran,

Well, at least you'll have plenty of magnetic headroom :-).  Big PF caps though.

-- Jim
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:38:30 AM by Jim R. »

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:32:03 AM
I'm building a set with exo 050s full nickel. One has already all the hardware installed. Both boards are populated and soldered. I hope to finish them in the next couple of days (alternating with the BeePre and with the -finally- setting up of my Eurodyns).

I'm saving the Jrs Co for the 300Bs to go with the WE.

Xavier Cortes