AN 8" speaker project

Guest · 2994

4krow

on: February 26, 2013, 02:49:23 PM
I will be starting a speaker project using Audio Nirvana 8" 'standard' drivers. This project is for a friend, and my thinking is to make a really efficient speaker so he can be lured into.....yes, BH territory. He is a cheapskate, but one step at a time(I laugh my evil laugh).

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:12:14 PM
Greg,

Since you didn't ask a question you must have already settled on a design.  What is it?

4krow

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:23:13 PM
In this case, I'm going fer easy. I will use 1.5 CF box with a slot at the bottom of the baffle. Don't want to get trickier than that. Seems like Fz of this driver is about 40 hz, so bass should be reasonable.

Offline najo49

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:22:03 AM
I WILL WARN YOU THOSE AUDIO NIV. DRIVERS ARE NOT THAT IMPRESSIVE IN AN ENCLOSURE LIKE THE ONE YOU MENTION. I HAVE EVEN TRIED THERE 8 ALNICO DRIVER IT IS BETTER BUT NOT BY MUCH. JAN OLSEN

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:12 AM
I have the CAST 8's in an open baffle with  Eminence Alpha 15's.  Actually very nice, except for an upper midrange shout/glare that I am trying to eliminate.  Tried a notch filter, but did not like the effect on the overall signature, took much of the "life" out of the music.

Can't comment on a ported enclosure, but if you want a pure, simple design, go open baffle. Good sound, even including the "shout" which seems endemic to full range dynamic speakers. Even on a small OB, the 8's will deliver surpising bass.

I will continue to work on the OB's. But, they are on the "back burner" while I muddle through my restoration of my 102dB/1w EV Sentry IV's.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
As for the shout problem, I agree. A device that I have tried has helped a lot, but must be fine tuned for every driver. It is made by Decware and is called the 'gizmo'. All I know is that it is a transformer with a pot connected to it. You can read more about it at the Decware site.

As far as the speaker and the final results in this project, I was quite surprised that the speakers sounded as good as they did. No accounting for it, I must admit, but my customer and I were both surprised by the sound. I also have a set of 8" Alnico cast speakers and they are not the best that I have ever heard, but are acceptable. I am sure that the proper cabinet for these would be required. I used them as OB.