Sex 2.0 rebuild

tsingle999 · 1578

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: March 03, 2013, 07:35:30 AM
I decided to rebuild my SEX amp. It was my first kit. Its pretty (ugly) And my soldering skills have improved. So i ordered a top plate and a nice blumenstein base. I have a grid choke n upgraded coupling n parafeed n 22uf oil caps n iron. I want to add triad c7x chokes, 47uf oiler. Any othe conceivable upgrades while im at it? So it looks real tight but i think i can pull it off. But then i thought what about a steel hammond enclosure with more room? I have the step drill bit to get holes for screws and tubes in it. But what about that power transformer? Is there a diy squarish hole cutter?? Thanks, Taran

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:49:30 AM
What kind of iron do you have in there?

Those lytic caps I sent you are pretty nice, I'd also recommend 68uf/450v Panasonic ED's in place of the 22uF/450V and 100uF/450V power supply caps, they will also leave you more room than the oilers.  Note that this recommendation is only for ease of construction, the stock capacitors in the SEX amp are beefy and durable, but give less flexibility during construction.

One could also use a TL431 to bias the driver stage, if you have the C4S upgrade boards installed, I can walk you through that one (or see the original Paramount 300B circuit).

If you're going through the trouble of adding a Hammond box, I'd add a second power transformer and shunt regulate the whole thing, but that's probably more than you want to work on.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:00 AM
I have a choice of iron from m6 to nickel...
Ya i def have those caps u sent me in mind to install.
I have the c4s and i will check the paramount circuit when i get home.
I like the idea of shunt regulating it. If im doing the hammond i might as well make it a project! You would have to walk me through that though! T

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC