Cinemag SUT from my Seduction to my Eros?

redneckdent · 11737

Offline redneckdent

on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:21 AM
I had a pair of Cinemag SUT successfully installed in my Seduction.  I just followed the widely posted instructions and it worked great even though I didn't really know what I was doing.  I still have the same SUTs in a drawer, and I need more gain for my LOMC.  Will this work mostly the same?  Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:20:15 AM
Yes, it should work very much the same.

Paul Joppa

Offline kip.duff

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:20 AM
I had a pair of Cinemag SUT successfully installed in my Seduction.  I just followed the widely posted instructions and it worked great even though I didn't really know what I was doing.  I still have the same SUTs in a drawer, and I need more gain for my LOMC.  Will this work mostly the same?  Thank you very much in advance.

I'm strongly considering getting an Eros.  Did you just wire the SUT in series under the chassis? Any advice on SUT/Eros welcome.  I have a pair of Lundahl LL9206 SUT's I could use- or I could get Cinemag or Altec 4722- or who knows.  Thanks......

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline SCompRacer

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 12:39:47 PM
I'm sure placement is a concern and/or shielding? I built a DIY Cinemag Blue in separate enclosure, wires twisted, etc. It was very sensitive to placement, would hum when near Eros or pre amp. I picked up a Park's Audio Budgie SUT, CineMag Blues, 1:8 / 1:16. He uses a circuit board design, seems it doesn't care where it is placed, it stays quiet.

Rich O

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Ref 3 * Krell KSA-250 Amp * Bottlehead Eros * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * DIY Buffalo III Dual Mono DAC * Heavy Plinth/Platter Lenco Idler Drive * Phoenix Eng 25W Power Supply & RoadRunner Tach * Advanced Analog MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II

Offline kip.duff

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 02:07:46 PM
I'm sure placement is a concern and/or shielding? I built a DIY Cinemag Blue in separate enclosure, wires twisted, etc. It was very sensitive to placement, would hum when near Eros or pre amp. I picked up a Park's Audio Budgie SUT, CineMag Blues, 1:8 / 1:16. He uses a circuit board design, seems it doesn't care where it is placed, it stays quiet.

Thanks.....   I'll look into that.  I don't want to have a separate box for the SUT- extra stuff.  I have my Lundahl SUT currently in the chassis using cartridge with 0.4mV output (AT OC9ml)- BUT the power supply is about 3 feet away (separate).  I'm thinking if the SUT is in the front of the Eros chassis, I might get by.

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Chris65

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:05:05 PM
Extra stuff is good! ;D A separate box does provide flexibility, and an SUT doesn't take up that much space.
Built a DIY SUT with Cinemag 3440AH (blue), sits next to my BH Reduction, no problems with noise or hum.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:15:49 PM by Chris65 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:12:14 PM
Magnetic hum pickup is the main problem with SUTs. Traditionally, the solution is three nesting cans of mu-metal, with copper cans between each mu-metal layer. Conventional wisdom is that each layer is good for 30dB of hum reduction. Location and orientation can help as well, but extensive magnetic shielding is the reliable and proven method. So far nobody in this thread has mentioned the shielding of their transformers, so I thought I should mention this.

Another technique is to use "hum-bucking" transformer design, with twin coils oriented in the opposite direction. This a typical of Lundahl transformers for instance, but Mike LaFevre at Magnequest has started making some with this technology as well. He has a forum on the Asylum, as well as a board here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/magnequest/bbs.html

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?board=31.0

Paul Joppa

Offline rockpassion

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:00:01 PM
I built a Cinemag CMQEE3440A a number of years ago.  I never noticed a hum until I reoriented my entire system at which time I put my Cinemag closer to my Eros/BeePre.  I fooled around with a number of things until I believe it was either Doc or Paul recommend I move the Cinemag away from the Eros/BeePre.  The further I moved the Cinemag from this combination the less hum I had.  It is now about 3 feet from these two preamps and no hum. 

I have never tried another SUT but the Cinemag SUT really took my Analog sound to another level. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 05:57:58 AM
Another shout out for the parks budgie. It is identical to the bobs devices that sells for 1100. Not just the same trannies but identical as far as I could see. For about one third the price.  He sells them as kits. I would just build it with silver leads coming out with male rcas on the end. Helps minimize the amount of connections.

Offline rockdoc

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:31:19 PM
I'm trying to picture how to achieve this. Any pictures?

Traditionally, the solution is three nesting cans of mu-metal, with copper cans between each mu-metal layer.

Offline rockdoc

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:08 PM
Where can I find these instructions? I'm considering building an eros, and using SUTs too.

Steve T

I had a pair of Cinemag SUT successfully installed in my Seduction.  I just followed the widely posted instructions and it worked great even though I didn't really know what I was doing. 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 01:27:56 PM
I'm trying to picture how to achieve this. Any pictures?
(This was in reference to shielding of SUTs)

This is not a DIY thing. The cans are custom made, with huge minimum orders (1000 at a time?). It's probably easier than making your own tubes, but not enough easier to tempt me ...  :^)

Paul Joppa