My little tax return present

Maxwell_E · 9557

Offline Maxwell_E

on: March 10, 2013, 01:59:00 PM
I'll tell this story somewhere it'll be appreciated; all of my friends think I'm crazy. In early February I got a nice used pair of Sennheiser HD600's off ebay with my tax refund. They were barely used with one soft dent in the mesh on the right cup. What the owner didn't tell me was that he had run over the cable with his chair (many times) and therefore the shield is visible in a couple spots where he cut the jacket. After a week of blissful listening I ordered some Canare L-4E6S, a set of Cardas headphone plugs, and a Neutrik right-angle 1/4" plug. People weren't kidding when they said those Cardas plugs are heat sensitive. Even putting the heatshrink on made their strain relief tail really soft. Anyway, I'm super happy with the final product of three hours of very, very careful soldering and a million continuity checks. I haven't A/B'd the stock cable yet, but I don't think it'll be a huge difference. The biggest plus for this thing is how robust it is and the pride in building it myself.

http://imgur.com/a/FFT06

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Armaegis

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:33:55 PM
Nice job on the recable (I hate those Sennheiser plugs; they're a bugger to work with). I'd also suggest popping off the grills and taking a look at the plug socket and maybe giving them a quick puff of air or deoxit. If the spring also look deformed (very likely), take a jeweller's flat screwdriver and carefully wiggle between the coils to even them out.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:51:32 PM
I think that you will be really happy with the cable upgrade over time. I really like Senns, but the stock 600/650 cable can be improved upon. Not dissing Sennheiser here at all, I respect designing to a price point and I continue to feel that they have the most refined and balanced house sound. And I think a used pair of HD600s or 650s is maybe the best bang for the buck deal out there right now. That they trimmed costs by developing an easily replaced cable and associated connector rather than using lesser drivers shows you just how savvy and dedicated Sennheiser is.

Now if they could just get their reps to use some listenable source material. I tried to A/B HD700s vs. HD800s at AXPONA and the music source was such incredibly SHITTY tinny bright headache inducing compressed MP3 pap that I had to tear the cans off my head and put them back on the stylish little headphone racks. Straight across from this was a perfectly fine demo of HD800s by, I think?, Music Lovers, with a nice little tube headphone amp and a rep happy to play whatever he had on his server. 

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:53:14 PM
Nice work! I built a couple in the past using pure silver and the other in OCCC. The differences were subtle at best. The nice part about the senns is the connector allowing for quick cable changes. I am still a fan of the stock cable on the 650's.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Lar

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:20:26 PM
I'll tell this story somewhere it'll be appreciated; all of my friends think I'm crazy. In early February I got a nice used pair of Sennheiser HD600's off ebay with my tax refund. They were barely used with one soft dent in the mesh on the right cup. What the owner didn't tell me was that he had run over the cable with his chair (many times) and therefore the shield is visible in a couple spots where he cut the jacket. After a week of blissful listening I ordered some Canare L-4E6S, a set of Cardas headphone plugs, and a Neutrik right-angle 1/4" plug. People weren't kidding when they said those Cardas plugs are heat sensitive. Even putting the heatshrink on made their strain relief tail really soft. Anyway, I'm super happy with the final product of three hours of very, very careful soldering and a million continuity checks. I haven't A/B'd the stock cable yet, but I don't think it'll be a huge difference. The biggest plus for this thing is how robust it is and the pride in building it myself.

http://imgur.com/a/FFT06

Any links for those parts? Thanks.

Larry V

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:44:25 AM
How would one go about popping the screens off? I doubt the connectors are that bad off as these are only about three months old, seller got them at Christmas.

And the cable and Neutrik plug came from Markertek. The Canare cable comes in all kinds of crazy colors.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/L-4E6S-BK.xhtml

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NP3RX.xhtml

I could only find the Sennheiser connectors on PartsConnexion.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/CARDAS-71677.html

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Lar

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:37:02 AM
Thanks again, just waiting on the Sennheiser connectors. Is that just shrink wrap you used at the connector ends?

Larry V

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:29:29 PM
Yeah, two layers of 3:1 heat shrink. I did one layer of 1/8" or 3/16" (I can't remember exactly) over the twisted wires and up tail on the connector, then a piece of 1/4" that goes up the connector body. I had to stretch the opening at little bit with some pliers but it gave a snug fit and shrunk nicely. If I had been more confident that I wouldn't have to take it apart and fix something I would have used adhesive-lined for the smaller bit to help with strain relief.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Lar

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:43 AM
Copycat, thanks for the info.   :)

Larry V

Offline FraGGleR

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:29 AM
Needs more wood!

My "Ron Burgundy" cable that I built a year or so ago.  Sadly going to a new home since I have sold my HD650s. 

Resonessence Concero -> Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 -> HD800

Offline FraGGleR

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:26:40 AM
BTW, Lunashops.com has Senn connectors for $10 shipped, though they come from China so take a while.  I have compared them to the real Cardas ones and I have yet to see any real downside in build quality.

Resonessence Concero -> Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 -> HD800

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:16 AM
BTW, Lunashops.com has Senn connectors for $10 shipped, though they come from China so take a while.  I have compared them to the real Cardas ones and I have yet to see any real downside in build quality.

They come in gold as well as Rhodium, also.  Somewhat easier to solder.  The same Chinese connectors can also be found on eBay.

Bob Trancho

Offline denti alligator

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:07:14 PM
Is the soldering pretty straightforward on this? I'm considering it for my HD-600s.

Also, which cable? The Canare mentioned here or the Mogami neglex mentioned in the other thread?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:21:54 PM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:48:03 PM
The soldering is (mostly) pretty straightforward.  The TRS end is no problem if you've done a Bottlehead kit.  A "helping hand" makes aligning the wires and jack a lot easier.

The Sennheiser connectors are tricky as there isn't a lot of room to work and the shells can be marred from too much heat.  I use a hot (700F) iron and 1/8" chisel tip and skip coffee for a few hours prior to working with them.  You should definitely tin your ends to make it go faster.  Also, the Senn connectors are open on one side for access to the pins.  Cardas fills the opening with hot glue prior to putting heat shrink over the connector/wire joint.  Head-Fi folk recommend epoxy.  Either works fine.  Also - be sure to clamp the Senn connectors by the pin only during soldering.  If the body gets too warm and it is in a clamp it may deform.  Clamping by the pin also acts as a heat sink to a small degree.

As for the cable, I've worked with the Canare and it is good.  I have no experience with that particular Mogami, but they are very similar.  I doubt that I could hear a difference between them.  I braided 26AWG silver plated copper for mine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:51:37 PM by btrancho »

Bob Trancho

Offline denti alligator

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 04:45:59 PM
Cool. What lengths are you guys doing? I'm thinking 15' but maybe longer if it's not a problem sound-wise.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable