OMG not already...

DoS · 9682

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:24 AM
If all of the voltages are reading correctly the tubes are functioning as they should. This means that the fault is in the signal path rather than the power circuit, for some reason the signal is not getting through the amp to the speaker. Sounds like the output stage and speaker are fine. So the connections at the input jack and tone switch might be the next thing to investigate. The shielded coax in that part of the circuit is vital to keeping noise pickup minimal, and it's also a little tricky to work with because the insulation melts pretty easily. Might check to see if the center conductor of the coax has shorted to its shield braid.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DoS

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:22 AM
I get 150 ohm from U15 to B9.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 10:32:01 AM
Try taking a resistance reading from the tip to the sleeve of the input phone jack. It should read open.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline rlyach

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:32 PM
DoS,

Is it possible you switched two resistors. The measurement you made (U15 to B9) should read 10Meg and not 150 ohms. There is a 150 ohm resistor on the cathode (B3) and ground. If you switched the resistors, your input will be grounded and your bias current on the EF86 will be very low.

Randy

Randy Yach

Offline DoS

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 12:18:53 PM
That sounds like the problem.

I hate really hard to see resistors, but as far as I could see these were pretty clear.

My 6.8kohm was somewhere around a 10kohm resistor in the kit, also.

Input tip to B9 is open.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:28:40 PM by DoS »

Offline rlyach

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 12:33:53 PM
You can also measure B8 to U15. If it reads 10Meg, you have switched the resistors. If it reads 150 ohms, you probably have a short between B9 and B8.

Randy Yach

Offline DoS

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 01:55:28 PM
My old analog meter gives me these

B8 to U15 12 x 10,000 (120k)
B9 to B2 1.5 x 100 (150)
24L to U14 180-200 x 10,000 (1.8M)
B9 to B7 11 x 10,000 (110k)
A center to A2 8 x 10,000 (80k)

Not sure whats going on. My meter may not be that accurate....

Offline DoS

Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 02:07:22 PM
Either way Randy, I think you guessed my mistake. Theres only three resistors that look anything like the ones used in these cases. I guess I'll have to get new ones (jesus christ, it takes forever when you can't buy anything local). Do the swap on the B sockets. Rather perform surgery.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 02:21:25 PM
DoS,

When is the last time you changed the battery/batteries in your meter?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:09:21 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 02:36:13 PM
You can send an email to [email protected] listing the resistors you need along with your name and shipping address and Eileen will get them out in the mail tomorrow.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DoS

Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:57 PM
DoS,

When is the last time you changed the battery/batteries in your meter?

I just extended the one resistor with a solid piece of wire. It isn't the cleanist look but I guess only my pride is at stake here. The amp works now!

The amount of RF my cable is picking up sucks though. This town has too many damn radio stations. I can always hear them in anything including bathroom fans, the one I sleep with, etc.

Thanks guys.

In the future I suggest labeling resistors that look super similar, some way. This isn't the first amplifier project I've had trouble with this. The last time the codes where identical if you just turned the resistor around, but because of the tiny, tiny, holes in the PCB I blew $80. Sure I should have a better multimeter, but the only thing I really need one for 99% of the time is AC mains.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:54:16 PM by DoS »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
Many of us, especially in my age bracket, measure first.  My eyes are going. 

When I built my Eros a little over a year ago I had given up reading the colors or numbers off of the resistors.  Very few were more than 0.5-1% off of face value.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:07 AM
Using decent quality tools often makes life much more enjoyable. Using a $10 or $15 digital multimeter to check the resistors before installing could have saved some grief in both projects. RE: the noise, is the pickup cavity shielded on your guitar? Are the strings grounded? And is your power outlet properly grounded? All of those things can make a big difference in terms of noise pickup. One can also shield single coil pickups by wrapping copper tape almost (you must leave a gap in the foil or it will interfere with the inductance of the coil) all the way around the coil and grounding it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DoS

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:08 AM
I don't have a proper ground on my AC in my old building. One wall has a ground, but it isn't proper.

The noise is RF, I mean you'd think the Tode was a pocket radio when a cable is plugged in, but open at one end!

The guitar itself when plugged in makes very little noise. Touching the volume knob or tone knob (metal) makes a little noise, touching the strings (which are grounded) eliminates most noise, and touching the case of the Tode amp eliminates all noise. I think it is lack of earth ground, and just this town over burden with radio stations. Seriously, you can hear it in EVERYTHING. I'm not joking that my old bathroom fan use to play rock'n'roll.

The only thing I wonder about now is EM and EF are quieter than flat, but that must be normal.

Can I increase the rate at which the feedback happens by lowering my 6.8k (my kit came with a 10k) to lower, like 3k? I ask because the Tode is pleasantly responding to one of my power conditioner I made, so well some extra crunch wouldn't hurt.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 08:54:05 AM
Yup, the bad grounding in the AC mains will make things really noisy. My 70 year old house is like that and I get a lot of buzz from guitars that are dead quiet at the office, where our wiring is up to date. You can maybe go a little lower on the feedback resistor but that won't get you more crunch, that will reduce the crunch. More feedback means more clean, less feedback gets you more crunchy distortion. So you might want to increase that 6.8k resistor to get more distortion.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.