Anybody in Boulder/Denver area with Paramounts I can listen to?

Jim R. · 7701

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Just checking if there may be somebody in the Boulder/Denver Colorado area with Paramount 300b amps I could bribe into bring over to listen to with my speakers?

Short of that, can anybody describe some of the amp's sonic attributes such as bass, highs, detail, noise, tone, etc.?

I've not liked most 300b amps I've heard, but I have heard a couple of exceptional ones that actually had good, tight bass and extended highs, and extremely good detail over the full spectrum.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline dmannnnn

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:27:29 PM
Wish I could help, but unfortunately I am still in LasVegas.  I will probably be moving back to Denver within the next few months.  If you're still curious then, I can help out.

Colorado 34 - Kansas 30

Harmon Kardon T60 - Hagerman Bugle - Cal Audio Labs CL15
ForePlayIII - Paramount 300B's
Klipsch RF-7/Altec Model 14/Magnepan MG12

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:01:36 AM
Hi,

Well, I hope to make some sort of move before then, but who knows, it could easily be that your timing will be great and I will be grateful for the opportunity to give them a listen.

There are a dizzying array of choices before me and I would really like to get the one that will stay here for the very long term, so I'm not likely to rush into something.

Thanks,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline paswen

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:35:47 PM
Hi Jim, I live in the foothills of Denver and have the Paramounts, SR 45 and 2A3 Paramour 2 amps , all are upgraded to varying degrees including iron, caps, tubes and power supply in the SR45. I listen to vinyl with the Eros or Seduction depending on the gain I need. I am hard pressed to say which I like the best. As I listen to each pair I swear that this is the best sound I have heard to date. I am out of town for several weeks but could stop by sometime.   Paul

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:15:40 AM
Paul,

Wow, that would be great if you could come by.  Just drop me a note when you're back and when there's a good time for you.

I had a good, experienced audiophile friend over yesterday and asked her point blank whether she thought a 300b or 45 would sound better with my speakers and without hesitation she said the 45 if there was enough power (which I believe there is).)  So, it would be wonderful to be able to hear both!

Thanks,

Jim

Offline paswen

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:48:29 PM
Hey Jim, I am back in town. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] to work out a time so I can stop by with whatever amps you want to audition.  Paul

Offline Rick58

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:55 AM
...can anybody describe some of the amp's sonic attributes such as bass, highs, detail, noise, tone, etc.?
I've not liked most 300b amps I've heard, but I have heard a couple of exceptional ones that actually had good, tight bass and extended highs, and extremely good detail over the full spectrum.

Jim, "good, tight bass and extended highs, and extremely good detail over the full spectrum" just about sums up the Paramount! I have NOS Siemens and Halske 12AT7s as the driver, which 'restored' some detail I 'lost' when I purchased my McIntosh C220. I was using an Audio Analogue Puccini SE as an integrated, then as a preamp when I got the Paramounts. The C220 sounded much better in many ways (and the phono stage KILLED the one in the Puccini) but there was a reduction in perceived resolution and detail ...

If your preamp is sufficiently detailed for you now, possibly a nice Telefunken or other driver will do (if you want to tube roll).

I also have some Sophia Princess mesh plate 300Bs in there (and there are several other options ...). I admit to not hearing any other 300B amps before building mine but IIUC, the 'vintage' or 'traditional' 300B sound is a bit soft at the extremes (and a little 'warm' in the bass if it uses a tube rectifier), but with astonishing 'life' to the sound. I would hope that the Paramount retains the 'live' motif while having the better detail and extension at the frequency extremes.

Seems there is an upgrade board coming that will allow for soft start as well as usage of different driver tube types ...?  I think I will stick with my S&Hs but would welcome the soft start function.

If you get a chance to listen to one, please report your evaluation ...    thanks,  = Rick.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:24:29 PM by Rick58 »

Paramount 300Bs (Sophia Princess mesh plates, Siemens & Halske NOS 12AT7s, V-Cap coupling and Mundorf Silver/Oil parafeed cap upgrades, nice!)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:47 AM
Hi Rick,

Still very much eyeing the Paramounts, but I just happened to stumble into a great deal on a Tektron 2a3/45 Reference integrated that's playing very nicely in my system now.

I would still like to build the paramounts, and will most likely do sometime in the new year.

I'm running 45s now and who would have imagined that 1.8 watts could hit so hard on a pair of 95 dB speakers?

Next project is just waiting for my nickel s.e.x. iron and then I'll have my headphone rig all done.  Trying to clear out the backlog before getting into more projects, plus need to save some money.

-- Jim

Offline Rick58

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:12:09 PM
Hi Rick,

Still very much eyeing the Paramounts, but I just happened to stumble into a great deal on a Tektron 2a3/45 Reference integrated that's playing very nicely in my system now.

I would still like to build the paramounts, and will most likely do sometime in the new year.

I'm running 45s now and who would have imagined that 1.8 watts could hit so hard on a pair of 95 dB speakers?

-- Jim 

Jim, good luck in your amp quest!  I use the 300Bs with ~90dB Triangle Tituses (about the same 'oomph factor' WRT watts vs. efficiency), and I have been lusting after some Ref. 3A MM deCapos. Now you remind me of the Tonians again!  but I bet they are more than ~$1500 I can get some used deCapos for ...

I know the Paramounts can be built with 2A3s, maybe even 45s?

Too many choices!  but that keeps it fun.   :^)    - Rick.

Paramount 300Bs (Sophia Princess mesh plates, Siemens & Halske NOS 12AT7s, V-Cap coupling and Mundorf Silver/Oil parafeed cap upgrades, nice!)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:07:23 AM
Rick,

Yes, PJ has already said that the paramounts can built for 45s, and it looks easy enough to build them so that they are easily switchable from 2a3 to 45 mode.  Then it may also be possible to run the 2.5 volt sophia Princess 300b when in 2a3 mode, which is what I can do with the tektron.  BTW, this is not the tektron with the switchable filament voltages that can play lots of different tube types.  I probably wouldn't try this on the paramounts until the slow strt C4S boards are available though.

As for the Tonians, yes, you can find used pairs for $1500 - $ 1700 for the Mk. IIs, which is about what I paid for mine.  Make sure they're the Mk. IIs though.

-- Jim

Offline Rick58

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 07:24:05 AM
Rick,

Yes, PJ has already said that the paramounts can built for 45s, and it looks easy enough to build them so that they are easily switchable from 2a3 to 45 mode.  Then it may also be possible to run the 2.5 volt sophia Princess 300b when in 2a3 mode, which is what I can do with the tektron.  BTW, this is not the tektron with the switchable filament voltages that can play lots of different tube types.  I probably wouldn't try this on the paramounts until the slow strt C4S boards are available though.

As for the Tonians, yes, you can find used pairs for $1500 - $ 1700 for the Mk. IIs, which is about what I paid for mine.  Make sure they're the Mk. IIs though.

-- Jim

I usually don't make circuit changes to try different tube types (I'm too lazy), but I will put in the soft start board when it becomes available ... and if/when I get some highly efficient speakers, the lure of the 2A3 or 45 may pull me in!  From what people say, the 45 is the best of all ...

Thanks for the info about the Tonians, they look like really cool speakers, with enough WAF to possibly make it into my house.

;^)   - Rick.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 08:41:31 AM
I'm having great consternation that you haven't received replies.  So I did a search on the old forum.  Here is someone who asked the same question:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=bottlehead&n=35389

You can go to the old site:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottlehead/bbs.html

Then enter the word Denver in the search.  I got several hits.  On the old(AA) forum you can click on a poster's name and contact them.  If you are not registered there you might have to register to get to some.  A few refused all contact through the forum (Asylum).

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:47:37 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 09:10:43 AM
Hi Grainger,

I did get a response from a local guy who has 3 different amps, and I will take him up on his offer at somepoint as I still really want to hear the paramounts.  In the mean time, I've been listening to my Tektron 2A3/45 Reference integrated and have to say that at this point I much prefer the 2a3 to the 45 with my gear, but this amp isn't necessarily at it's best with 45s either (OPT impedance, B+, etc.).  But the 83 rectifier adds something very special to the sound.

Thanks for your help though, it is appreciated.

Best,

Jim