Cheap upgrade for Tode/music equipment

DoS · 4349

Offline DoS

on: March 21, 2013, 05:54:31 PM
Hey guys.

Thought some of you might like this!

It sounds simple and stupid, but it works. It doesn't work nearly as well as the power conditioners I make for audiophile purposes, but none the less the benefits to amplifiers for musical instruments is apparent. Basically what you want is film capacitors rated for AC voltage, at around 110uf, but 100uf in this case for cost purposes. The more capacitors you use the better, but I'm recommending something that'll cost less than $50 potentially.

I used four of these because they are really cheap. You just put them in a box, connect them from line to neutral, so in parallel to your incoming AC cord and AC receptacle going out (Type in "Leviton hospital" and you can get a good one for $5 that otherwise cost $20). The only issue is you have to remember that it is best to unplug the device before you turn off your equipment to discharge the capacitors if you want to avoid any charge. I used a relay that turns on when the device is powered, and the capacitors voltage drop across it very fast once unplugged. My plan it to attach a large 50w resistor to the relay so it'll completely discharge instantly. You don't have too, you just have to remember that there is a charge that you wouldn't want across your fingers if you touched the blades of your plug for whatever reason.

I do stress AC mains are not to be toyed with, so don't mess around here if you are not confident in what you are doing. If anyone REALLY needs a schematic or whatever I can make one. There are other levels of filtration, but my problem with them is that you have to dedicate sockets, so in this application I prefer something you could plug a power strip into because who knows, you might want to plug in 10 pedals to the same device! Or maybe your band can all plug into it at the same time.

But anyways it'll make your Tode EXTRA sweet sounding in tone, very easy on the ears. It won't interfere with any normal operation. This will do oogles of better things than upgrading the power cord will (although I recommend 12ga even though you don't need it; since I have yet to find a situation where I haven't preferred 12ga or larger, why is a good question).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:00 PM
This post and the poster are not in any way associated with Bottlehead Corp. except that the poster is a customer. We have no experience with this suggested circuit and thus we must insist that anyone who tries it accepts that they do so of their own accord and therefore they assume full responsibility for the result. AC mains voltage can kill you. Be sure that YOU know what you are doing, because we won't be there to call the ambulance or give you CPR if it turns out you didn't get how it goes together.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DoS

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:23 PM
Sorry if I in anyway made it sound like there is an association. This is definitely just my suggestion.

I wish the nature of it didn't involve AC line voltage (and ampere), but the results are wonderful.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:39:29 PM
Hey I dig your enthusiasm! We just have to be a little careful because a lot of folks who lurk here are noobs and may not understand that tube electronics involve some potentially harmful voltages and currents. The closer the circuit gets to AC mains the more potential for harm that we can't control. As long as anyone who tries this kind of thing takes responsibility for their own actions it's all good.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:44:19 PM
This topic was getting a little irritated, so I have removed the rest of the posts. Not singling anyone out, no one is being punished, I just felt the conversation was headed toward becoming a little too heated.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DoS

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:34:47 PM
I still feel uneasy about this topic. Perhaps I'll make a more detailed example or something? I'm not sure. But I'd really like for people to get the experience. I'd even be willing to ship a unit to someone to try.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:46:11 PM by DoS »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:37:57 PM
I'd just suggest reading this page in its entirety:

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/AC/AC_4.html

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline DoS

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:06:55 PM
I'd just suggest reading this page in its entirety:

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/AC/AC_4.html

Ok... nice review... Are you wanting to refer to the part about how changing electric fields make capacitors react with heat? Because I can tell you that you can't tell the difference between a capacitor hooked up to nothing, and one across line in this manner. The first box I started with was well vented but all subsequent ones made were just larger. None of them have ever produced any notable heat from the capacitors. I prefer closed boxes in the event that the safety rated, made to fail in a specific way, capacitors failed in a way they should not.