Finally started building

rlyach · 6743

Offline rlyach

Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 04:27:59 PM
Success!!! I removed all the hum and static from the amp. I had the amp running without the box and probed around for sensitive areas. Using an antenna wire I discovered that the front chassis plate near the input was the source. If I touched the wire to the chassis plate near the input the static signal was much much worse. Further, touching the antenna wire to the shield terminal on the input was like listening to a radio at loud volumes. It was one station in particular. Looking at the mid-scoop circuit I found a loop antenna from one of the small capacitors. I removed that and wired it to the switch instead of the input and 90% of the noise went away. Secondly, I added an additional ground wire from the shield on the input to terminal 18 to make sure the chassis near the input was well grounded, and voila.... the noise was gone. I know my house ground is not that great but this makes me feel much better.

Randy Yach

Offline rlyach

Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:05 PM
My son finally brought his Schecter over and wow... I did not expect what I heard out of the Tode. It really has a nice growl, especially when I used all the pickups. I find that I really like the EFish setting for the Schecter. The flat is nice too but it really sounds nice on EFish. I will now pack up the Tode and send it to Nashville to my other son (who is the assistant audio engineer at myrmidon studios and really plays). He is anxious to hear it and try different recording techniques with it. I will keep you updated on his evaluation. Also, the bands that record at the studio use a lot of the studio equipment including the amps that we have built together. It is likely that someone my want to use the Tode because of its unique sound. Plus it just looks good, especially covered in black tolex  ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:36:44 AM by rlyach »

Randy Yach