My take on the BeePre

johnsonad · 34399

Offline johnsonad

Reply #45 on: August 11, 2013, 09:30:46 AM
The airborne isolation with rock wool failed. It could be that my voice is enough to cause resonance through my cheap home made rack and cause some vibration. Who knows but it's low enough I can live with it and I don't hear anything outwardly different when listening to music which is all that really matters.

I'm having a very hard pulling myself away from the BeePre/SEX combo. Thankfully it's Sunday!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 11:05:40 AM
It might help to add some weight to the rack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 12:18:16 PM
The top shelf has 150 lbs worth of TT and R2R machines. The second rack is the preamp level. I'll give the extra weight a try.

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 12:47:14 PM
One thing I like about living here in AZ. No basement. Concrete tension slab floors. Put it all on the floor and your set....

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline corndog71

Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 02:38:27 PM
One thing I like about living here in AZ. No basement. Concrete tension slab floors. Put it all on the floor and your set....

I don't know, Eric.  That could lead to a "hard" sound. :P

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 02:46:56 PM
No Rob... Tight and in "control". Thats the way we like it here in AZ!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 02:55:27 PM
If I had the room And no wife I would happily put all of the components in the floor ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
Aaron, I have a wife. Its just a matter of "training". You put it all in front of the TV, on the floor. They get used to it...

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 03:06:02 PM
All right, in the interest of honesty and self disclosure, I do have some stuff "hidden" behind the TV in the entertainment system build. But, still, how much shit do you have to display at one time? Put your best stuff out there. The rest goes in the closet. The beauty of that is that she forgets about how much crap you have when you want a new piece! See! Smart haaa?

Eric

Offline johnsonad

Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 03:34:09 PM
You may have something there Eric. Looking at my rig I can probably work a good percentage of gear on the floor. I may try this in the future!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Chris

Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 03:37:09 PM
Until she enters the closet reaching for the christmas decorations and has an old Vector Research receiver fall on her head...I can hear it now..OW!wwwwWWWWAAAAAAXXXXXXXEEEERRRRR!!! 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:54:24 PM by Chris »

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 07:15:36 PM
So.... I'm super curious, any news with the burnt-in Jupiter caps? :)

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline johnsonad

Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:29 AM
They are sitting and waiting until I have a better feel for the BeePre and SEX Combo

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 02:03:35 PM
The Dynamat Extreme came in and I applied it to the inside of the wood base and to the available under spaces of the chassis plate. When changing volume on the Bee Quiet it made a slight difference in the length of the ring decay but nothing to write home about. I notice no difference in the airborne ring so it was quickly removed. In my application, using EML tubes, I want to remove heat as quickly as possible. The Dynamat added a layer or two of insulation and the reduction in ring wasn't enough to justify it. Besides, you don't continually change volume when listening so the reduction was a mute point.

I'm going to try other means of mechanically isolating the BeePre and hopefully reducing that airborne ring effect but it's low on the priority list. It is sounding better than ever and I've got a couple of other plans in shippment that I'll post on once tested.  The Jupiter's will get a second chance in a month or so once I get a good feel for the BeePre/SEX combo.  These two sound amazing with my Altec's so much so that I'm kicking myself in the ass for not trying the SEX amp earlier.

Aaron Johnson

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 02:06:23 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you install the Dynamat such that it was easily removable? I thought that stuff had some sort of strong adhesive backing...