My take on the BeePre

johnsonad · 34398

Offline johnsonad

Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 02:16:21 PM
It does if you let it sit too long.  I removed it after 30 minutes or so. It didn't have enough time to stick well enough to remove paint or wood. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 02:20:01 PM
Thanks.

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #62 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:08 PM
Teflon tube sockets might help. They absorb some degree of vibration more than their ceramic counterparts. The latest Teflon sockets coming out of China don't have those little nuts that get loose over time, which is nice.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:03:29 PM by HF9 »

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline johnsonad

Reply #63 on: August 15, 2013, 02:43:29 PM
Thanks but no thanks. Teflon is pretty hard and those sockets are not the easiest to work with. If my voice from 6 feet away can cause the heater elements to vibrate, I highly doubt an expensive fancy socket will do anything but look nice. Thank you for the suggestion though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:41:22 PM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #64 on: August 15, 2013, 02:46:48 PM
Aaron,

Sounds like you need to use your "inside voice" around the Bee Pree.

Offline corndog71

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2013, 03:04:25 PM
Maybe you need to create a box with a good 6" of foam inside to encapsulate the BeePre.  You could always put in a tiny camera and connect it to your tv so you can still see the BeePre.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline johnsonad

Reply #66 on: August 15, 2013, 03:19:25 PM
Grainger and Rob, thanks  :o.....  I am very very happy with the BeePre but am always trying new things. This is a small issue when compared to how good it sounds :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 03:22:35 PM
The ultimate solution is to put the electronics in a different room than the speakers. Fixes resonance issues and heat buildup in the listening area. Of course almost no one has the space to do this.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #68 on: August 15, 2013, 04:45:28 PM
Thanks but no thanks. Teflon is pretty hard and those sockets are not the easiest to work with. If my voice from 6 feet away can cause the heater elements to vibrate, I highly doubt an expensive fancy socket will do anything but look nice. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Is this with both the EML's and the EH's?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline KevO

Reply #69 on: August 17, 2013, 07:58:48 PM
The Electro's are microphonic in my BeePre when I am withing 3 feet and speaking loudly. The Vikem rings help.

The Sophia carbon plate tubes are almost as microphonic as the Electro Harmonix.

My Beepre has teflon sockets. Teflon has some internal damping properties,, but it is still pretty hard. Not cost effective IMHO.

I was thinking about glass cylinders to surround the tubes. Some small rubber feet to raise it a 1/4 inch off the chassis. Chimney effect should keep things cool.

I'll see if I can source something the correct diameter.

-Kevin

PS Vikem rings are available on Amazon. Good prices.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:00:47 PM by KevO »

Offline johnsonad

Reply #70 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:27 AM
Yes PB, worse so with the EH's. The more microphonic the tube, the worse it is. Like Kevin stated, I need to raise my voice and the closer I'm to the preamp, the more it transmits it.

Kevin I like your train of thought. I would like to find something that would be excited first, minimizing the transmission to the tube.  What about a loosely formed cylinder of a thin metal?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:03:54 AM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline corndog71

Reply #71 on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:32 AM
Acrylic tubes can be cut to size and may have better damping properties than a glass tube.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #72 on: August 18, 2013, 12:30:00 PM
Any air leak large enough for cooling will let most of the sound energy in, I suspect.

Until someone designs and conducts a suitable experiment, we don't know whether the tube or the chassis plate is responding, and hence whether or not a vibration-isolated socket will be of use.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #73 on: August 18, 2013, 12:37:24 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Paul  :P

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #74 on: August 24, 2013, 07:15:10 AM
A short update.  I went ahead a swapped the 300 Ohm resistors for the 10H chokes that Xavier is using.  They have some break in (around 10 hours) and to be honest, I hear no change from the resistors.  I was lazy and haven't measured PS voltages after the change.  They get hot to the  touch after a few hours of use but so far so good. 

Aaron Johnson