Couple updates on developments

Doc B. · 2903

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: March 31, 2013, 07:48:38 AM
Since I'm posting about Tode stuff a couple things may be of interest.

First is that I have been experimenting with different speakers a bit. The depth of the stock cabinet limits the choices to drivers with ceramic magnets. I think I have mentioned in the past trying a Weber Signature 8 instead of the stock Signature 8S. I find it a bit lightweight. Have also tried a Jensen Mod 8, which I find kind of flat or bland (neo magnet sound maybe? I dunno). Recently I bought a Weber Chicago Vintage CVC8. This is similar to the stock 8s, but with a bigger magnet and "pre-softened cone". The speaker is more mellow, which I was looking for to appease my jazz/blues tastes. And it seems a bit more efficient. If you are looking for that kind of sound it's a nice experiment for not much money. Might be nice for blues harp too, need to try that today.

The other interesting news is that Clark Blumenstein has agreed to make a Blumenstein cabinet for Tode. I am going to spec this one a bit deeper so it will accommodate alnico drivers as well as ceramic. I'll keep everyone posted on how this works out.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline DoS

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:30 AM
Have you played with dampening the basket?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:41 AM
Nope, but do I think one important thing is making sure that parts inside like wires aren't touching other parts and that the little corner pads are in place, as there is enough enegy to create some buzzing on really loud notes otherwise.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline vladimirwolfe

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:58 PM
I got to try the Doc's Tode with the Chicago Vintage speaker and it definitely hit the sweet spot with my archtop guitar.

Doug