SIMPLER Quickie question

Guest · 4570

4krow

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 04:56:03 PM
I knew that there would be no free lunch. Actually, I think that a 22 position attenuator  flanked by multi-turn pots might be the way I will go. Thing is, those muti-turn types are less common, and especially if I need an unusual resistance. 100K is what I would think to be the value that I might be looking for as a total resistance. But the flanking pot values still elude me.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 06:03:30 PM
When you begin to get into multi-turn trim pots for volume control, you are essentially committing to use a small flat head screwdriver to adjust the level for each channel on your preamp...

I think you'll have to consider what your end goal is, having the ability to adjust your level by 0.01dB increments might be entertaining, but ultimately will be frustrating and very difficult to use.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:28 PM
How about toggle switch and one resistor. For a high/low, just ahead of the pot...John

John Scanlon

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 06:25:19 PM
How about toggle switch and one resistor. For a high/low, just ahead of the pot...John

Yeah, this is a lot closer to how I tend to setup my gear.  I will generally use a 4P3T rotary switch (we generally have a bunch around the shop) and have 0 Ohms, 100k Ohms, and 470K Ohms selectable in series with the standard 100K pot.  If space is an issue, you can pile up a 100K and 470K in series on the switch itself and obtain similar results. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:11 PM
I like the toggle switch idea for another project that I have in mind, and the pots that I have found are of the  type that has a post that a knob can be mounted on.  The problem may be more  about what I would like to accomplish as a volume control device.  Space will not be a problem as such, since I will be  building from the ground up.
  Back to the switch idea, it would be a perfect idea for my integrated amp that has a high sensitvity. Interestingly enough, that is where my quest  began with all of these volume control ideas. Cant wait to get back to the states, and return to my laboratory. Igor is lonely,  and doesnt know how to text...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:57:57 PM
Greg,

The 10 turn pots you describe are inductive, often with the value printed on the side.  So the signal sees a choke in series with it.  It may not give the results you are looking for.

4krow

Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:15 AM
    Now that, is weird, wild stuff, as Johnny C  would say. I guess it makes sense, and yet, I think that I am titilated(a word that should be used more often on this site) by that idea. Maybe someday, I will try it anyway. In the meantime, I just want to stick with the regular stuff and make it work for me. Sometimes my ideas are a little out of focus, and it is this site that helps me develop the strategy further.