SIMPLER Quickie question

Guest · 4572

4krow

on: April 09, 2013, 05:10:32 PM
You would think that I know this one, but here goes: What Goldpoint selector switch would I use to replace the stock switch? Whats throwing me is the switch being used for power as well. I know it is simple, but not simple enough...heh heh 2P, ?T, 1D. Two inputs of course, and single deck.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:06 PM
4P3T1D

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:52 AM
Thanks. I actually figured it out once I really thought it through.

4krow

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:11:40 PM
On a similar note, be forewarned, I will changing out the Quickie stock volume pot with another 'experiment' of mine. In this case, I have ordered a Goldpoint selector switch(not the same as for the previous question here) to be part of a 3 knob, fine/coarse volume control set up. We'll see just how much fun that will be to screw with. The other two selector switches are not of great quality, but as of now, I can only afford one good quality switch, and have chosen that for the coarse volume control. If I can find less expensive quality switches for the fine controls, that would be great.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 04:12:35 PM
... The other two selector switches are not of great quality, but as of now, I can only afford one good quality switch, and have chosen that for the coarse volume control. If I can find less expensive quality switches for the fine controls, that would be great.
FWIW, we seem to be concluding that the switch quality has little effect on the sound quality - it's more a matter of reliability and switching noise. So experimenting with cheap switches is quite reasonable; spend the bux once you have found something you expect to life with for a few years!

That's not always the case with - for example - caps, but it sure lets you get more experiments done.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:50:31 PM
Thanks Paul, That eases my mind a little. The way that I am using the  Quickie(with an integrated) I can usually set and forget it. Then I use the integrated for a master volume, if you will. With the coarse/fine controls that are a different config than what is used on the BeePre(one stereo control, and a mono fine control for each channel), I adjust for some different problems unique to my situation. Anyway, photos are soon to follow.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:34:50 PM
hey Greg - curious as to how the sound of the integrated changes with the Quickie in front of it, vs no Quickie.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:51:15 PM
Well, with the first Q I built, I remember that sound in general was waaay cleaner to my ears. No explanation. Remember, that Q had the PJCCS upgrade. This one was going to have that upgrade, but I got sidetracked and went with the chokes. Let me back up a bit and say that integrated is a very neutral sounding amp to my ears, so these changes are easy to hear. Ok, fast forward to choking the Q. With this arrangement, the sound is warmer, pretty much tubey all the way. Of course, I never rest, even when it is best. That means I have found a new step up tranny for my Cayin CD22, which has tubed output. Yup another change. Haven't had time to evaluate yet. One last thing, the Q is now used for switching between the Yamaha SACD player and the Cayin(can you say shoot out?). Moor to follllow. Remember, you started it... 

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:26:23 AM
Thanks Greg - thats interesting - pretty much exactly what I have noticed from the Quickie with the chokes. Its good to get some validation of what one is 'hearing'. Psycho acoustics can be a difficult thing. - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 02:11:45 AM
Just to confirm, the Quickie volume control is just a standard 100k Ohm dual / stereo audio (log) potentiometer, right? The power switch is part of the source selector switch, which is separate, right?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 06:12:47 AM
Yep, since you asked (even though you didnt), its a good piece to upgrade - I really like my TKD. Plastic Pot, Audio Note replacement part. Alps is also a good 'go to' replacement for it. Everybody and their brother uses Alps in their stock 'audiophile grade' kit.

Eric

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:44:14 PM
I asked because I plan on installing an Alps pot. I have a TKD in my maxxed out Crack. I like the TKD, but didn't feel like it was worth almost 10x what an Alps costs. Plus, since I plan to build a Quickie, a Smack and a S.E.X., not to mention a balanced AMB M^3, I don't feel like dropping $400 just on volume pots...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:36 PM
All this talk is making me wonder, should I install the Black Beauty and an Alps balance control in my FP 2? 

I should sniff some solder at home.  I built a serial cable at work last week.  Their soldering iron is awful!

4krow

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 03:55:45 PM
Ok, hold the applause for a second, but it has been itching in my mind about using a main volume control(Alps plastic film) with an adjacent pot on each side for fine volume control(also a Alps type plastic film). It is just in the wondering stage at the moment, but I just gotta know if it would work and how.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 03:09:27 PM
I'm not sure its a good thing to run the signal through 2 pots unless the first one uses discrete resistors, and the second is a log type for 'fine' volume control. 

Eric