Bypassing capacitors

FraGGleR · 4084

Offline FraGGleR

on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:40 AM
Just to make sure I am clear, when people have suggested bypassing capacitors to enhance the sound, I am adding in capacitors roughly 10% (?) in value in parallel with the existing capacitors.  In practice, this would mean attaching the legs of the bypass capacitors to the legs of the existing capacitor (?)

So if I wanted to see if adding a bypass cap would help at the 22uF power cap (22uF film caps are too big and/or expensive for a full replacement), I could use a 0.22uF nice quality cap and possibly get some sound improvement?

Resonessence Concero -> Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 -> HD800

Offline corndog71

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:56 AM
I usually use .1uF but I'm sure .22 would be fine.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:12:09 PM
I havent done much bypassing, actually only my speaker crossovers to date. From what I have gleaned from other DIY'ers who engage in such practices, is that they usually use uber expensive well regarded caps in incredibly small values ex. V-cap .01uf. From my experience, the oils tend to sound good bypassed with the same. If I had an extra $150 I would buy a pair of .01uf V-caps and see what happens. So far that $150 has not been there. They of course have be wired in parallel (piggy backed) to the big cap. Alligator clipping them on then off etc is the best way to ck if there is any difference.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:18:27 PM
One other thing on bypassing... Before you do it, IMO, its best to identify several traits about the sound you are hearing, good or bad, and try to focus on that when doing the A/B comparison. Play the same song over and over and focus on the change. Otherwise, there may be a 'difference' that could be very hard to nail down. It could very well actually be worse!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline FraGGleR

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:30:58 PM
Great.  Thanks guys.  I'm ordering some cheaper Clarity Cap ESAs (too impatient to wait for Obbligatos) to see what difference they make over the stock capacitors in the parafeed, coupling, and last power cap (going to bypass this one) spots. 

Only going for a touch more clarity and maybe some warmth.  I understand that if I hear anything, it will be subtle.  Saving up for the the Magnequest iron upgrade someday. 

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38:28 PM
No doubt that the iron upgrade will make a much bigger change...

Eric

Offline corndog71

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:22 PM
I think power supply caps benefit more from bypasses than coupling caps.  There is a potential for smearing the sound.  But the great thing about all of this is trying and listening for yourself.  I look forward to your results.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline rif

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:49:03 PM
...when doing the A/B comparison. Play the same song over and over and focus...

I've always wondered- why not just make the change to one channel of the piece of equipment, then feed the same source into both channels (maybe use an rca y-splitter)? Then just listen for differences between left and right.

-david

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:32 PM
Hey David - I have tried that - changing one channel at a time. I just get confused. In stereo the speakers works in synergy. Putting my ear close to the speaker is not an accurate representation even though I still do it from time to time. For example, IMO, tube magic needs some space to operate (with speakers that is). There is a synergy that happens in the room with tubes. I cant really explain it....

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:20 AM
Unless you have the equipment to be scientific about it, it is black magic.  I have bypassed both power supply and signal path caps.  The KK Teflon Signal path bypass in my Ack! dAck! remains.  So does the KK Teflon bypassing my Parafeed caps in my Paramours. 

I have three different kinds of caps as an additional final PDMPS stage in my FP 2.  There is a KK Teflon at the top, of course.

Weeks, maybe months, after building my Eros I experimented with different caps at the output.  At Paul Joppa's urging I tried both one and two KK Teflon 0.22uF caps here.  The single won over the higher value.  I could hear no bass lost using a 0.22uF here rather than the designed 0.47uF, and I was using my sub.

So to me it is a try it and see kind of situation.  You could buy a nice 0.1uF and alligator clip jumper it into several places just to hear the results.

Enjoy this, it is a hobby!

Offline FraGGleR

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 05:27:10 AM
Hobby or obsession?  Sometimes I get so carried away in research that I do forget to enjoy it all.

I will be feeding my HD800s from the S.E.X. so I ought to be able to hear any changes, as there aren't really any more revealing headphones available. 

Oh and Madisound rocks - 2-day Fedex for only $7.95 (only a couple bux more than regular USPS).  Should have some caps to play with by Friday!  Fastest and cheapest place in the US I could find for caps.  Full range of Clarity and Mundorf caps.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 06:34:50 AM
Hey Granger - I forgot about those KK Teflons. Those are the Russians arent they? Can you tell me again where you buy them. - thanks - Eric

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:14 PM

Eric