HD800 mod - wow

Doc B. · 16657

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 08:31:38 AM
I know there are other tutorials out there, but I've always found this one to be helpful and clear.

Best,
Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 08:43:34 AM
To answer the second half of your question - to me the Mainline has better resolution and speed, and more punchy bass. It also has a more black background. I find it sounds very natural without sounding like it's "warming up the music with that tube sound". One thing that strikes me is that recordings through HD800s and Mainline tend to sound very close to a live feed. In contrast we had AKG K1000s with 300Bs running them right next to an HD800/ Mainline rig at the last Head Fi meet. That setup was like a great Chardonnay - fat, rich, powerful. To my ear very entrancing, but not necessarily "real". It drew equal praise from listeners. I would put Crack a little more toward that direction, though not quite as much as S.E.X.

The upshot for me is I prefer the Mainline with HD800s.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dcham

Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 04:48:12 AM
Thanks guys for the advice.

Doc, I can't wait to put the Mainline together! The neutral sonic signature your described is what I am seeking as I am going to use this in my mixing studio. Glad Eileen allowed me to upgrade my Crack order to a Mainline, which I hear is going to ship any day now for pre orders!

One question with all the high end exotic wire used in all the high end aftermarket cables, I am surprised you found Mogami miniature balanced cable to give you an improvement over the stock Sennheiser cable. I'll probably do the XLR on the stock cable as shown by Adam's link first. I use both Mogami and Canare mini cables to wire up our recording studio patchbays. Did you use the standard balanced cable (3 conductor) or the quad (humbucking) version of Neglex?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:52:23 AM by dcham »

Offline adamct

Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 05:59:11 AM
You need 4 conductors for a balanced cable.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 06:52:58 AM
Yes you need two twisted pair mic-style cable for a 4 pin XLR plug. And once you have struggled with soldering wires to those miserable to terminate headphone connectors (PB wouldn't even touch 'em, made me do it myself) you will understand why I used a skinny cable with very skinny wire. The coax that we prefer for interconnects would never work.

FWIW Mainline is definitely the amp I would choose for mixing with headphones.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dcham

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 07:46:36 AM
Yup. My tech will be the one to have "fun" wiring those miserable cables.  ;D

This is what I plan to use. http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/console/, W2944. A pair of those. I also have the quads, W2799, but I assumed you used W2944. These don't actually sound bad at all, though hardly "audiophile approved". Though my Sennheiser dealer prays I buy his ALOs which cost almost as much as my HD800!

So from your experience, the Mogami made a positive difference? Anyway this mod is cheap enough to do. Once I get the Mainline up and running, I'll first put an XLR on the stock cable then build this one. Also going to try the Anax mod, though I find if the original recordings were great to start with, the HD800 plays them back nicely. It's just all the new overly bright and compressed stuff that sounds bad on these.

Cheers!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 08:40:50 AM
The 2549 is my prefered IC cable. Mogami makes good cable!

Aaron Johnson

Offline isldkid

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 12:40:50 PM
Must have missed it where is the info on the Anax 2 mod?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:39 PM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adamct

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 01:08:11 PM
Friend,

What is this gew-gul of which you speak? What black magic does it harbor? How can I be trained to understand its dark secrets?

Your humble servant,
Adam