Will a Valab stepped attenuator (ladder-type) fit a Quickie?

adamct · 6232

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Has anyone tried fitting a Valab stepped attenuator (ladder-type) in a Quickie? Any issues (other than possibly widening the hole in the chassis board)?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Hello Adam,

There's a good chunk of room around the volume control in the Quickie, I wouldn't imagine that it would present any issues.

If you do need to drill out the chassis, just be sure to support the bottom of the plate with a piece of wood (and leave the paper making on until you're finished).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adamct

Thanks, Paul. Especially for the tips about supporting the plate and leaving the paper on. I hadn't thought about either of those.

Best,
Adam

Offline adamct

To follow up on the above, fitting the VALab ladder-style stepped attenuator was easy as pie. I had to widen the hole for the shaft a tiny amount, but it was really minimal. And the anti-rotation pin from the VALab attenuator fits perfectly in the pre-drilled hole in the chassis.

As a side note, the VALab attenuators seem to be of excellent quality, especially for the price ($25). I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline earwaxxer

I would be curious to hear how you like the sound of that pot. That price is outrageously low. Its one of those things you could buy and experiment with. I do like my TKD, but, as well all know, I cant leave well enough alone for long.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

Eric,

First impressions of the VALab pot are very positive. Most importantly, I don't feel like I'm losing anything (and instead feel like I am "gaining" a lot - hahahahahahah  ;D) by putting the Quickie before my Decware Taboo.

For $25, I frankly don't see how you can go wrong. I like the TKD I installed in my Crack, especially since the Crack has so much gain in my system that being able to adjust it on a continuous scale is helpful, but I would choose the VALab over the TKD in just about any other system (and in fact, I have 3 more of them, for installation in my S.E.X. (when it gets here), my Smack and whatever Bottlehead kit I decide to build next...  ::)

For pics of the VALab in my Quickie, see here.

Best,
Adam

Offline pushbroom

hey adam, any chance you could comment on the step values, ie is the range acceptable?  i noticed that the other pots/attenuators this ebayer has listed do not have the green phoenix blocks attached, was that your mod?  seems i recall this same ebay seller being the subject of some controversy a few years back on the head-fi forum...i think he was advertising a higher quality cap in his DAC than was actually used or something of that nature

Josh
never satisfied, always improving

Offline adamct

No, the green terminal block was attached to all 4 of the attenuators I bought. I can't say I was thrilled. I would have preferred to solder the wires in, but after some back and forth with a friend who has the same attenuator, I can see why they added it, and it certain does make installation a breeze.

FWIW, VALab is pretty well known and liked. I'm not aware of the specific controversy you are referring to, but they are not some random fly-by-night operation that popped up on ebay yesterday and will be gone tomorrow. That doesn't mean they are beyond reproach, but I certainly feel comfortable buying from them.

I was concerned about the step range, but I actually find it to be more than acceptable. I don't know if this is because they have a good log taper, or if it is because 24 steps is just inherently enough. At first I did find the stiffness of the attenuator a bit annoying, but I just installed a larger (48mm diameter) solid aluminum knob, and that improved the ergonomics tremendously. Now adjusting the volume is a breeze.

Let me put it this way: if I had to do it over again, I would have installed the VALab attenuator in my Crack, too, instead of the TKD volume pot I have in there now, even if there wasn't any difference in cost (the TKD cost 4x what the VALab cost).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
The VaLab attenuators are pretty good, there's no controversy there, but I would stay away from their grid chokes (for now at least).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pushbroom

thanks for the info.  i'm seriously considering one for my q 1.1 build

Josh
never satisfied, always improving

Offline adamct

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:44:19 PM
For $25, I don't really see what you have to lose. Go for it!

Offline mortron

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:42:09 PM
Is the ladder preferred to the unit with SMD resistors? I am having trouble figuring this out. As well, does the KOA brand of resistor make a big difference?

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 01:09:01 PM
Is the ladder preferred to the unit with SMD resistors? I am having trouble figuring this out. As well, does the KOA brand of resistor make a big difference?

I prefer the 1/4 watt resistors to SMD.  I have 2 Goldpoints, (1 is in the Quickie), with SMD's.  Hard to make a direct comparison, but I tried both in the Crack and, to me, the P2P resistors were a bit clearer with slightly better timbre.  But in reality, once you have listened for awhile, the differences disappear.

KOA is a huge Japanese resistor maker.  Their Speer division makes Kiwame resistors  which are well regarded for use in tube equipment.  That said, IMO the spec "1/4W 1% 25ppm" is more important than the brand, (as long as it is a quality manufacturer such as Vishay/Dale, Welwyn (UK), KOA Japan, Takman Japan).

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline coca

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 04:54:13 AM
Where can one purchase the VALAB attenuator.

Bernie.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:45:00 AM
eBay!  Just search for Valab attenuator.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's