Any details on power supply?

Jim R. · 10410

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:18 PM
Since I'm not familiar with the paramour circuit, can I ask if the stereomour ps will be a CRC (or optionally, CLC), or will it be a voltage doubler as in the s.e.x. amp?

Also, will there be separate filament windings for each of the output tubes?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:04:28 PM
It's a voltage doubler. I use that a lot because it's full-wave and I can use 600 volt Schottky diodes, which are MUCH cheaper than the 1200 volt versions. (These high voltage ones are silicon carbide, made as far as I know only by Cree.) A side benefit is that the winding is about 160vAC, and switches rated for up to 240vAC are readily available if anyone wants to switch the high voltage later than the heaters.

The second filter stage is a pair of RC stages, one for each channel - what we used to call "pseudo-dual-mono". There is a large resistance for the 45, with a smaller, optional parallel resistor to raise the voltage for the 2A3. This is intended to make it easier to change from one to the other.

The 2.5v windings are separate so that independent cathode bias can be used. It's actually a quadrifilar winding, with a pair of wires for each 2A3.

The windings are arranged so they can provide some degree of electrostatic shielding for the primary and for the 2.5v windings. You can probably tell that I am a little proud of some design aspects...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:37:51 AM
Thanks Paul, sounds like a lot of thought has gone into this design -- of course!

You said:

You can probably tell that I am a little
proud of some design aspects...  :^)

As you should be!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)