Which aluminum alloy for chassis plate?

adamct · 3362

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:43 AM
I'm thinking of getting a custom chassis plate made for one of my amps. I had a few questions when preparing to place my order:

1. What aluminum alloy is used for the stock Bottlehead kits?
2. Is there any reason to prefer 5052 over 6061 aluminum (or vice versa)?
3. Would another metal be preferable (e.g. copper or bronze)? I'm leaning toward aluminum, but if there are real benefits to others, I'd like to know before making a decision.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:06 PM
I think we usually get 5052, though I am flexible with the supplier about other alloys if they run out of materials. 

5052 and 6061 are both good choices, I'd use whichever costs less.

Copper and bronze are awesome, but they are VERY heavy and expensive, and they corrode visibly. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 08:02:09 PM
   I can't deny that copper or brass or bronze may have downsides, but they are going to be used in something that you will have for a very long time.  I find them to be striking. I have no real problem with aluminum, but I might be tempted to have it anodized a certain color. Yah, I know, it's my money being spent.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:03:25 AM
You can polish copper and bronze then clear lacquer them.  Only scratching through the clear will allow it to tarnish.  My copper end bells on my MQ iron have stayed shiny for years, the underside is probably brown by now.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:00:34 AM
...Copper and bronze are awesome, but they are VERY heavy and expensive, and they corrode visibly. 
No, no - they "acquire a lovely patina with age..."

I believe horse piss, applied after carefully cleaning and de-greasing, is the traditional way to assure the right patina. Of course a well-trained horse will avoid pissing on the tube sockets and RCA jacks.

Paul Joppa

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:09:48 AM
...Copper and bronze are awesome, but they are VERY heavy and expensive, and they corrode visibly. 
No, no - they "acquire a lovely patina with age..."

I believe horse piss, applied after carefully cleaning and de-greasing, is the traditional way to assure the right patina. Of course a well-trained horse will avoid pissing on the tube sockets and RCA jacks.

;D Thanks a lot, Paul. I just shot coffee out my nose!

4krow

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:43 AM
Yah, there's a visual that I don't want to witness....My son sent some fishead and seaweed soup to use for my garden. I wrote back and told him  it was like living hell to drink, and when I pissed on the garden, all the plants died.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:37 AM
Greg,

It gave me a mental picture I can not un-see!