Trying again

Remoter · 1382

Offline Remoter

on: June 15, 2013, 09:34:58 AM
I've been too busy over the last couple weeks to revisit the quickie till this morning. I'm stuck
No volume coming from the B side on either set of input RCA's
Switch tubes - no change.
Swap out interconnects - no change.
Hooked up to different amp - no change

The resistance checks come in as described in the manual except the terminals/lugs that are supposed to come in as infinity. I simply get no reading - nothing.
All voltage checks come within 5% of manual.
I've checked continuity on every connection that I can think of and I am not finding anything out of whack.
What am I missing here?
Dan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:52 AM
Hello Dan,

I would recommend downloading a tone generator on your smart phone and/or computer.

With the tone generator, set it to generate a 60Hz signal, then feed that into the Quickie.

Set your meter to AC volts (if you don't have an autoranging meter, set to the 20V range or the closest similar setting). 

With the 60Hz playing, you should be able to measure AC voltage at:
T1, T6, output jack left solder cup, output jack right center cup, A/B6, A/B4, A/B2 (greatest AC voltage)
B side potentiometer solder lugs (second to greatest AC voltage)
A3/B3 (no greater than the reading above, but equal to if the volume is all the way up)

I would use your meter to measure the voltage coming out of your phone or computer, do your best to get it up to 0.5V or more, that will make it easier to measure.  Start at the RCA jack of the offending channel, verifying that the voltage is present, then measure at the output of the selector switch (the forward two lugs in the middle), then keep following the signal until you get a zero, then let us know where that is.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Remoter

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:08:06 PM
Thanks Paul,
This is new ground for me and I need some clarification on your suggestion.
Am I amplifying this 60hz tone? Should the Q be hooked up to the amp?
I'm setting my meter (it is auto ranging) to AC for the DC powered preamp?
How do I manipulate the tone in order to get it up to a minimum of 0.5v?
Dan

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:11:56 PM
You don't need to use your amplifier. What he is suggesting is to plug your computer or phone into an input of the Quickie, most likely with a 1/8"-RCA cable (easily findable at RadioShack, drugstores, et cetera). Download a signal generator for whichever device you are going to use and set it to make a 60Hz sine wave, which is an AC signal (audio signals are all AC). You can measure that in AC volts, so measure the output of your device and change its volume so it's at least 0.5VAC. Then plug it into your Quickie and measure the AC signal as it passes though the circuit, at the points PB lists. Find where the signal drops out and you find where your music is getting lost.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

4krow

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 03:53:25 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the idea. I will be using it shortly on one of my projects. Funny how something so simple can be a big help.