Another batt question

jcastellano131514 · 4196

Offline aragorn723

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 05:19:30 PM
They were from the dollar store.  The 9 volts and d's lasted about 3 months, but didn't get used too heavily.  I recently added the pjccs, so it might be time to check out some new options.  Seems like the battery life wasnt the greatest, but for $3 to change the batteries, maybe it doesnt matter?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
If it doesn't say "ALKALINE" then it isn't. Nobody wants to admit their batteries are carbon zinc, so they call them "heavy duty" meaning they have 14% more power than a 1940s regular carbon-zinc, a.k.a. "general-purpose". Nobody (AFAIK) makes regular ones anymore, presumably because nobody will buy them willingly.

It's like organic food. Nobody wants to buy inorganic or industrial or imitation food, so they invent terms like "natural" which have no legal meaning, in the hopes that you will mistake it for organic which does have legal requirements.

I think I forgot to mention that carbon-zinc cells have a very short shelf life - never buy them as surplus no matter how cheap!! - and they leak gooey corrosive paste eventually. Oh, and did I mention I think they are obsolete crap?

Paul Joppa

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:34 PM
If it doesn't say "ALKALINE" then it isn't. Nobody wants to admit their batteries are carbon zinc, so they call them "heavy duty" meaning they have 14% more power than a 1940s regular carbon-zinc, a.k.a. "general-purpose". Nobody (AFAIK) makes regular ones anymore, presumably because nobody will buy them willingly.

It's like organic food. Nobody wants to buy inorganic or industrial or imitation food, so they invent terms like "natural" which have no legal meaning, in the hopes that you will mistake it for organic which does have legal requirements.

I think I forgot to mention that carbon-zinc cells have a very short shelf life - never buy them as surplus no matter how cheap!! - and they leak gooey corrosive paste eventually. Oh, and did I mention I think they are obsolete crap?

Come'on Paul! Quit wimping out.  Tell us what you really think!   ;)  I loaned my camera flash to a buddy.  He put in 4 cheapy AA's.  They leaked before they died.  F'in mess to clean up, but luckily I caught it early.  I wouldn't put carbon zinc cells in anything!!

Yeah and the "Natural" B.S, really pi$$e$ me off!  Pay extra to get nothing but the same processed crap!!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline aragorn723

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 01:50:20 AM
LOL.  Maybe next time around i'll try something different.  Where is a good place to buy inexpensive alkaline batteries?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:17 PM
LOL.  Maybe next time around i'll try something different.  Where is a good place to buy inexpensive alkaline batteries?

www.cheapbatteries.com

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:30 PM
I was at Costco today. Eight 9-v for $16, 14 D-cells for $15.

Paul Joppa