quickie tone

aragorn723 · 3501

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:52 AM
Simplicity so often wins out over complex designs.

Could not agree more. Many high end tube amps and pre's are overly engineered just to prove "competitive superiority", not to serve the music. 

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 10:00:09 AM
Since we are claiming simplicity, it seems that a good many things operate better when simplified. Is that some kind of universal law, or does it describe our limitations? Seriously, it does make me wonder.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:27:21 AM
There are a number of things that in my experience need a certain sophistication.  Can't for the life of me think of one now.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 04:41:13 AM
I have been reading/studying Nelson Pass's DIY site and some of his projects, and the phases they have undergone over the years. Whats interesting is that as the projects get more complex in those successive iterations they do, to some extent sound 'better' as they get more complex, ex. adding a CCS (like the PJCCS), etc. There isnt a huge difference though, and the simple single ended, no feedback design (even in SS) yields superior results in many cases.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.