How would you assemble these pieces?

Downhome Upstate · 2829

Offline Downhome Upstate

on: July 01, 2013, 03:26:56 PM
For coupling caps:
Audiocap Theta 0.1 uf or DynamiCap-E 0.1 uf. Available for bypass: Russian FT-1 teflons at 1200 pf or 6800 pf

For output caps:
NOS Sprague Vitamin Q 1.0 uf, DynamiCap-E 1.0 uf, or Russian K40Y-9 PIO at 0.47 uf. Available for bypass: Russian FT-1 teflons at 6800 pf or .047 uf

(The cartridge is a Denon DL-103R through a pair of homebrew Cinemag 3440A step-ups; the Seduction feeds a Stereomour with the EML 2A3-S.)

I'm curious to see how you guys and gals would use these items, or if you'd do something else entirely.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:37:44 PM

I'm curious to see how you guys and gals would use these items, or if you'd do something else entirely.

I'd wait until the upgrade is installed, as it will serve as a bit of a guide in terms of where the coupling caps will fit.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:00:19 PM
For starters, anyway, I installed the DynamiCaps today following the instruction to make the longer leads the 'input' side: 0.1 interstage, and 1.0 output (in place of the 0.47 uf stock value).  Right off the bat and without any burn-in (assuming I'm not just kidding myself), they sound more open, detailed and well, dynamic than the stock Dayton Audio caps. Not that the stock caps sounded bad. I'm sitting with an LP I know well -  the nothin' special Riverside reissue of Waltz for Debby. More wood and richer timbre in Scott Lafaro's bass, better attack on the drum kit, altho' the brush work, which was always kind of in your face, is a little too prominent now. I think I'm also hearing a modest improvement in the attack and tone density for the piano. Not really sure about that last part.  Anybody else use these capacitors?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:59:02 PM
Okay, I've burned in the Seduction with the DynamiCap E's for a little over 100 hours in situ, using the output of a CD player through a KAB Precon phono stage burn-in device. And man, oh man, what a difference. So much more articulate and musical. Highly recommended in a set-up like mine with a cartridge (DL-103R) that emphasizes tone over detail, detail detail. This is great stuff. Now on to cap upgrades in the Stereomour.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:49:36 PM
Hey Mike - as far as the caps - I would try to listen to the caps without bypass first, for awhile. Try to identify a certain sound, if any that can be improved upon. Then bypass it. You will be able to tell if the bypass helps or not. It may actually make things worse. What I do, is put a cap in. If I dont like it I try to bypass it first. Then replace it if it really doesnt work. Sometimes its a matter of chemistry. Hard to say for every application. For example, I tried to bypass my Obiligattos without success, but when I bypassed my AmpOhm paper/oils with Mundorf silver/oil it was very good.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.