Newbie capacitor question

Loquah · 10774

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:26:06 AM
How do you guys feel about the Russian silver mica KSG-2s? I don't see much info about them online other than in that review. I would think that mounting them might be an interesting challenge :)

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:32:16 AM
That's a pretty darn good list of boutique "affordable" caps. Gets painful toward the top though!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:37:26 AM
I would try them - try any and all of the NOS Russian stuff, but you must report back to us your findings. I think most people skip the Russians because they look funny, and they want to spend some money and go boutique.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 10:39:37 AM
Eric,

I was kind of hoping to get your thoughts on the following:

- Mundorf Supreme

- Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver & Oil
- Jensen Copper Foil PIOs
- Jupiter HT-Series Beeswax Paper Aluminum Foil

Any thoughts on whether the Mundorf Supremes are worth the premium over the ClarityCap ESAs? Any thoughts on the relative strengths/weaknesses or differences among the other three?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 12:05:37 PM
How do you guys feel about the Russian silver mica KSG-2s? I don't see much info about them online other than in that review. I would think that mounting them might be an interesting challenge :)

They can challenge  or even better the best of the Teflons in terms of clarity, details and simply getting out of the way of the music.  The KSG's don't come in high capacitance's and they are relatively big. (hence the mounting challenge!)  They take just as long to break in as Teflons.  I have used them in a PSE 6L6GC amp as inter-stage coupling caps and they were really very nice.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 12:27:50 PM
Hey Adam - I think it depends on what size (uF) you are talking about, how much you want to spend what sound you are looking for etc.

The supremes are a good place to start as far as value and you can see if you like the Mundorf house sound. I keep going back to Mundorf because its a known quantity to me. For me to switch brands I'm looking at some serious coin, and I haven't got there yet. I think the upside of buying a super high end cap that everyone loves is that it gives you a frame of reference. Not all reviews and opinions turn out to be accurate, so I try not to be swayed by the "cap du jour". I don't think you would regret any of those on you short list. Personally, I'm curios about the Jupiter HT's. I wouldnt bite on the Jensens. The Mundorf silver/oil seems to be liked by many in the affordable high end bracket. IMO, to do significantly "better" it's going to cost you. From what I have read a about the ultra high end caps is that they get just about everything right, but they are not 5x better than the more affordable cap like the silver/oil.

Eric

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 03:43:13 PM
- Mundorf Supreme
- Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver & Oil
- Jensen Copper Foil PIOs
- Jupiter HT-Series Beeswax Paper Aluminum Foil
The Mundorf Supremes are very good, low cost, all around caps. Nice clarity and slightly on the warm side. Probably one of the best value caps I've tried.

I tried the Silver Oils on the outputs of a NOS DAC, which increased the detail and neutrality over the stock caps. I also installed them in a Norman Koren SPICE circuit which was the best sounding pre-amp I've ever heard, however I didn't roll anything else into it.

The Jensen Copper PIOs are supposed to have a lush midrange and be good for vocals. Haven't tried them yet myself.

I plan on trying a set of Jupiter Flat stacks in my PreBee. People say they are natural, extended and ever-so-slightly colored in a beneficial way. Sounds like my cup of tea ;)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:46:12 PM by HF9 »

Offline johnsonad

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 04:26:13 PM
"I plan on trying a set of Jupiter Flat stacks in my PreBee. People say they are natural, extended and ever-so-slightly colored in a beneficial way. Sounds like my cup of tea "

That's why I bought a pair for my BeePre.  I hope that they deliver.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:32 PM
Someone on page 1 mentioned using film caps with (or in place of) the electrolytics in the power supply because they dump power faster. Is that about using them as bypass caps or actually replacing the electrolytics?

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 12:13:24 AM
The Mundorf Supremes are very good, low cost, all around caps.  .  .  .   

This could be somewhat confusing.  There are at least 3 different configurations of Mundorf caps that are labeled Supreme.  The ones he is mentioning above are those linked here:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_mundorf_suprm.html

I don't believe he means the Silver/Oil, Silver/Gold or the Silver/Gold/Oil.  Those all say Supreme too.  If you had clicked on those first you might have thought they were not so "low cost".

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 04:52:08 AM
Because of their construction, the Supremes are 800-volt caps. I like the idea of that for parafeed output applications in power amps, especially the Paramount which has the highest voltage. (I'm talking reliability and longevity, not subjective ound here.)

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:17 AM
   I saw a switch just for changing output caps. NOW I understand. Of course, it wasn't a special switch of any kind, just came with an attached circuit board.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:03 AM
The Mundorf Supremes are very good, low cost, all around caps.  .  .  .   

This could be somewhat confusing.  There are at least 3 different configurations of Mundorf caps that are labeled Supreme.  The ones he is mentioning above are those linked here:

I don't believe he means the Silver/Oil, Silver/Gold or the Silver/Gold/Oil.  Those all say Supreme too.  If you had clicked on those first you might have thought they were not so "low cost".

Correct. And here I have to lob a complaint toward Mundorf and/or Parts Connexion. While almost every other cap brand / style (including other caps in the Mundorf line) makes it clear what the caps are made of, the Parts Connexion page for the "vanilla" Mundorf Supremes does not. Through some research on the web, I was able to determine they are metalized polypropylene, but the cynic in me thinks they are using the "Mundorf Supreme" name to charge a premium price by getting people to associate them with their more expensive oil/silver/gold caps.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 06:42:04 AM
The way it worked, from what I remember anyway, is that the generic "supreme" came first. The others came later.

Eric

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 04:38:34 PM
The ones he is mentioning above are those linked here:
Yes that's correct, just the regular Supremes. As Eric said, they are a nice place to start. They won't set you back much coin and they are well regarded in pretty much every review I've ever seen.