Newbie capacitor question

Loquah · 10775

4krow

Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 05:55:49 PM
  Not that I doubt my ears so much as my expectations. I wish that there was a simple way to blind test these caps, so that the prejudices could be better put out of the way.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 12:07:38 AM
I didn't want him to think that you thought $200 for each capacitor was a reasonable price.  That kind of skews a newbie's view of us.

I'm a big fan of the cheapest Obbligato caps.

4krow

Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 04:36:17 AM
  I don't have a lot of experience with different caps, but I am very happy with the Obbligato gold caps. I must admit that I suspect I will change out some small solen caps in my latest Q to Obbligato copper.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 06:58:02 AM
I'm a Russian aficionado!
I tried big k75-10 PIO and they are better than stock caps and MGBO ones, then I also try a mixed solution bypassing them with a 0.22uf K72 ones (teflon caps).
With bypass caps I experience more detail and dynamic, but I prefer them in my phono stage, letting my quickie smoothing a bit.

As said before it's a matter of taste...I learned that in hifi you have to understand technical basis first (frequency response, harmonic distorsion, PRAT ecc...) and then it's up to your taste.

Like a good sommelier, you can dislike a glass of Amarone, nonetheless you must know it's one of the best wine in the world!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:57 AM
I didn't want him to think that you thought $200 for each capacitor was a reasonable price.  That kind of skews a newbie's view of us.

I'm a big fan of the cheapest Obbligato caps.

Haha, yeah, that's only reasonable for the craziest of us. Agreed that the Obbligatos are a really great value.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline aragorn723

Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 05:52:12 PM
What value cap did you use for the K72P6?  Thanks,

Dave