Zapped by Crack! FIXED!

monsterdonkey · 5167

Offline monsterdonkey

Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:35 AM
It is true. My current wire stripper/crimping tool is old and cheap, like a dollar store type of thing. It has a few notches for stripping a few different gauges but not for wire as thin as this. On the list!

I found myself kind of skimming the instructions, hence the errors.. It's my learning style. Wreck the first one and clean up from there. As long as I'm not committing open heart surgery. But still, silly mistakes like that can be costly. I used to work in a lab at a high tech machinery factory. Engineers would design something and I would attempt to put it together. A mistake was sometimes seen as a positive thing because it would help us head off potential production line problems in the future. Mistakes like attaching wires to the wrong places despite clear instructions were just embarrassing.

rm

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 01:11:45 PM
Aah, but cool wire strippers are one of the best inventions of the 20th century along with RTV, Velcro and Ty-Wraps.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 05:39:02 PM
Don't forget Duct tape...John

John Scanlon

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 06:10:30 PM
I'm such a cheap bastard I refuse to get rid of my favorite wire stripper because its getting dull. I'm trying to figure out how I can sharpen it! Thats sick! Right?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:41 PM
Can you grind it with a Dremel/Proxxon/rotary tool?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 12:05:30 AM
Eric, use a tiny file.  I have a set I bought from Sears in the 70s.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:10 AM
humm....

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 05:26:47 PM
Probably spend more on files than a new stripper but if it satisfies tool lust, then its OK.

My Mom ask me if I could get her a couple of boxes of the really big Band aids. So I go to the company store, and save a buck or so a box. Then as she needs them right away and without thinking about it had then sent  overnight  to her. guess how much I saved...John     

John Scanlon

Offline Mike B

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 06:01:58 PM
Just go to the shack and get a new pair.

I was pleasantly surprised re the quality of Radio Shack strippers.

Actually you need 2 pair, the big one that does 10-22g and the fine pair for the small stuff.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 06:11:01 PM
Careful guys...discussing wire strippers in an inappropriate forum can arouse The Wrath of Grainger!

j.k., Grainger.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:19 AM
We all forget sometimes, Radio Shack builds nothing, they buy from legitimate suppliers.  They used to stock Dual, Scott, Garrard and a variety of other "Hi-Fi" equipment.