Sex 2.0 rebuild / audio note meishu short binding posts

tsingle999 · 2601

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Ok who else got burned by these binding posts? Big sale at pcx. They don't fit the normal bp hole thats cut out for bh kits plus they are really short! I tried washers and just couldn't get them seated. Then it struck me i had bought some ear isodamp grommets from michael percy. Well what do you know they don't fit the transformer holes but they fit the speaker binding post holes. I removed part of a plastic piece from the audio note bp's and they fit in their pretty snug. They look a bit off kilter in the photo but i have more room to tighten them down even more. They will never be perfectly straight but they're hidden behind the transformer and they're tight.
2 questions: a) the bp have a solder tab. Is it really ok to solder to the tab? I usually solder to the end of the bp itself.
B) do you prefer the look of brass or regular screwheads with the colour scheme? The mq trannies are steel and not brass.

Btw my fave tool is those pliers pictured that i use all the time is those bent needle nose...

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline tsingle999

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:13:03 AM
Finally finished mounting the hardware.  Went with brass screws. It was tough moving the transformer with attached terminal strip but its mounted tight. The output trannies are put in with screws upside down so i can switch them out easily. The blumenstein base is actually a good way to work on the amp with 1 side removed.
Starting to do the grounding wire... No headphone jack should make some of the wiring neater.
In one pic you can see a lonely triad choke. Just cant fit it in. Maybe mount on side wall?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:16:20 AM by tsingle999 »

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:22:28 AM
Thanks, but painting a watercolor of your S.E.X. does seem like overkill. Why not just take a picture?  ;)

Just kidding, don't take me too seriously. [Actually, don't take me seriously at all.]

Offline tsingle999

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:13:28 AM
Its funny i get so excited by how it looks im throwing the knob n bottlehead badge and tubes on way before its finished just to see it! This was my first amp from the sf class. It deserves to look as good as it sounds! Anyway i love when people post pics so i thought id return the favor...
And its paint by number adam:-)

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:08:45 AM
"paint by numbers" - LOL!

Actually, I would love to see a clearer picture of your build. It looked nice on the small pictures, so I clicked to enlarge them, but the bigger version doesn't really add much in the way of detail. If you have a digicam, I think it would be worth using that instead of your cellphone/smartphone/tablet camera. It's a pain, but the picture quality is better...

Best,
Adam

Offline tsingle999

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:54 PM
I am rebuilding without the headphone jack and with mq iron. So i put both the red and orange wires from the iron directly to the red speaker binding posts. I then wired the black wire to the black binding posts. Then i noticed each channel is supposed to  have a ground buss attached to the black wire. My question is can i attach the binding posts and the other busses to the main ground buss? Or should i run a wire from the binding post to each channels ground buss?