solder two wires together

azrockitman · 2452

Offline azrockitman

on: August 01, 2013, 03:30:24 PM
I had to remove the small circuit board on my stereomour to replace a shunt regulator.  That surgery has been completed.  now, upon reattaching the circuit board, the wire is too short from the 8U terminal. 

I know it would look tacky and be unprofessional, but is there anything technically shaky about simply attaching a short end of wire to the existing wire and soldering the connection to make that wire long enough?

It pains me to do something that cheesy but I would prefer to not desolder that connection.  The 8U connection has a ton of wires in it and I would prefer the cheesy shortcut as long as there is no real reason not to do it other than aesthetics. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:36:43 PM by azrockitman »

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:01 PM
No Its OK, just don't tell anyone ;). A bit of tape, or heat shrink over the joint is a good idea...John

John S.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:24 PM
AZ rock! how goes it! Go for it dude! We all do it. Much bigger fish to fry in the DIY world. Hows life in Phoenix? Lots of in and out monsoon stuff down here in the Old Pueblo.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Mike B

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:49:11 PM
Don't worry about it.  Here's mine;

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3767%2F8918023908_8c3586f4ac_o.jpg&hash=88a30566cab5a70490504433f25031e6c0a7f79a)

Soldered in the resistor and nipped off the lead.  Had the nippers too deep and nipped off the resistor.

You can see the joint on the top grid stopper.  No problem, works great!

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline azrockitman

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:52:12 PM
Thanks John and Eric.  Game on.  I'm going to finish this bad boy if I possibly can tonight.  Maybe I'll snake this ugly connection under the board so no one will see it when I'm done!   8)

I'll reserve the "showmanship" for my next project!

Thanks guys for the quick reply.

And Mike, good job...I missed it at first glance.

Thanks again all.  Back to work!   ;D

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
I like that Mike - nice symmetry. Its all about presentation. Most people dont have the slightest clue what you are doing anyway!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:58:02 PM
I did it today. It was high quality wire but I was too lazy to rework it. It sounds amazing despite my solder joint ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:58:54 PM
I always love these kind of questions, in a perverse sort of way. It gives me validation that I'm not the only one who thinks way too much about just about everything in my kit! Its good though... Healthy to get it out in the open.... Good therapy.

Eric

Offline azrockitman

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:36:31 PM
I think I really learned a lot with this kit, my second, and in some cases "learned my lesson" as my dad used to say.

I spent many careful hours with my S.E.X kit, building it, because I had no clue what I was doing.  With the stereomour, I was clearly an "expert" after successfully completing my first kit perfectly and I got cocky and assembled it too quickly.  Never again.  I enjoy building them, so I'll take my time from here on out.

And Specifically, Eric, you nailed it on the head.  Hearing so many others have had to repair a connection or wire like that makes me feel less like a dummy.   ;D

Offline corndog71

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:59:15 PM
If you could see some of my early work... ::) :-[

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Mike B

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:39:36 PM
Yes, the most important thing is not to rush. 

Look at the instruction, understand what you are doing, look again before you solder, make a good joint and then look at the instruction again to verify.

The worst thing is you turn it on and nothing happens.

Well, that's not as bad as turn it on and the fuse blows.

No wait, the worst is you turn it on and smoke happens.  Yeah, that's the worst.

And fixing it takes 3X (or more) time of building it.

So, don't rush - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 05:50:28 PM
To add one other thing to this topic... What I like to do is put a "leader" wire on the part that is hard to access, so that when I "have" to sub in different parts I can quickly solder a wire to a wire instead of trying to solder to a hard to reach part. That of course is less than "ideal" but I'm lazy and I dont want to fry parts that are close to the solder point. I love soldering a wire to a wire. No worries!

Eric