Replacing the last power supply cap

adamct · 14766

Offline corndog71

Reply #75 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:41 PM

I'm cautious about attempting to solder leads on, as I don't want to get solder in the terminal threads and thereby render it impossible to screw a bolt on if I need to.

Try something like this.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2FDynaco%2520ST35%2FIMG_7782_zps63cb086b.jpg&hash=d8f37d7339b78dc62009a1ca11dc0125da00e39b)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #76 on: August 22, 2013, 04:37:20 PM
I love that stuff! Big ass peaces of wire welded on. Solid!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #77 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:57 PM
Rob

Just so I understand, what is the benefit of doing it that way? Isn't that essentially the equivalent of wrapping the lead directly around the terminal? The copper wire you soldered the leads to is just physically connected to the terminal right? Or have I misunderstood?

Thanks,
Adam

Offline corndog71

Reply #78 on: August 22, 2013, 04:44:56 PM
It's not welded on.  I took a piece of 16awg copper and made a ring terminal.  Multiple ring terminal.  So there.

Rob

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #79 on: August 22, 2013, 04:50:39 PM
You guys do know that then make terminals, right? Look like washers with a solder tab on one side? There are some in our kits, for instance the safety ground lug. Hardware stores have them.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline corndog71

Reply #80 on: August 22, 2013, 04:56:48 PM
Yeah, but mine is made of 16awg OFC so it's better!!!  Audiophile approved.

Rob

Offline adamct

Reply #81 on: August 22, 2013, 04:58:29 PM
Very funny, Mr. Joppa.  ;)

But is that any better than just stripping 2-3 inches of insulation off the end of the lead, wrapping it around the terminal a couple times, and then cinching down the nut to hold everything in place?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #82 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:22 PM
There are many ways to skin a cat.. In the end, you have to feel good about it! If I dont feel good about something, its only a matter of time before I tear it apart for no real good reason!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline corndog71

Reply #83 on: August 22, 2013, 05:04:53 PM

But is that any better than just stripping 2-3 inches of insulation off the end of the lead, wrapping it around the terminal a couple times, and then cinching down the nut to hold everything in place?

Technically, no.   But if I want to disconnect the wire I don't have to loosen the nut and unwrap it.

Rob

Offline adamct

Reply #84 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
Got it. Thanks!

Offline adamct

Reply #85 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:29 PM

Offline Grainger49

Reply #86 on: August 22, 2013, 11:54:43 PM
Go to your hardware store.  Buy some ring terminals that will fit onto the studs.  Crimp the wires onto them, solder over if you are as compulsive as I am.  Then you have what you need.

Offline adamct

Reply #87 on: August 23, 2013, 04:27:19 AM
I think I'm going to try and mount the oilers upside down on the top of the chassis using brackets, and then attach the big blue caps at the back. The brackets I have are just slightly too big for the metal can oilers, so I need something to fill the gap that is preferably slightly "tacky" to avoid having the caps slide around. Something like a piece of bicycle inner tube would probably be ideal, but I happen to have a piece of styrofoam-like material that is the perfect thickness, density and degree of tackiness. It has a fairly small, regular and tight cell structure (it is a sheet of foam material that the oilers were wrapped in when they were shipped). Does anyone know whether this stuff is likely to degrade over time? I'm thinking about shrinkage, compression, brittleness, flaking, turning into goop, etc. I realize this is a wild shot in the dark, so I'm not really expecting anyone to know the answer to this.

Best regards,
Adam