Just finished quickie

machinehead · 10795

Offline machinehead

on: February 11, 2010, 06:20:55 AM
Just finished my quickie, pretty much stock except I put the batteries on  bottom for a nice clean look
and lined up all of the slots on the screw heads.

See attached pictures.

I would like to see some more theory embedded in the instructions, that is why I chose to build a
 kit, to learn more about the operation of the tube preamp, here is some questions I would like answered:

1. What are the different functions each resistor in the circuit?
2.  What are the functions of each of the caps?
3. Why the two different types of caps?
4. Why the one set of carbon comp resistors?
5.  Why the silver plated, teflon coated wire just for inputs?
6.  How to measure DC offeset?

Thanks.

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:29:24 AM
Nice looking piece you have there. Your chassis plate looks like it is moving liquid. I was going to mount the batteries on the underside of mine but ran into issues with the way I wanted to build the cabinet. I ended up leaving them up top, but plan on building a cover for them.

Offline machinehead

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:57:23 AM
Yeah, I will have to notch out the wood where the D cell holders are.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:05:58 AM

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:44:09 AM

1. What are the different functions each resistor in the circuit?
2.  What are the functions of each of the caps?
3. Why the two different types of caps?
4. Why the one set of carbon comp resistors?
5.  Why the silver plated, teflon coated wire just for inputs?
6.  How to measure DC offeset?

The forum is a great place to discuss the theory!  

1.  There are three resistors in the circuit  (I forgot about the carbon comps when I wrote this, but answered that separately later).  The 4k resistor that goes from the power switch to the plates of the 3S4's is the plate load resistor.  The 1k resistor that is bypassed with a capacitor is the cathode resistor.  Lastly the 470k (not 100% sure this is the correct value) resistors could just be referred to as output resistors, or maybe grid leak resistors (for the following stage).

The plate load resistor serves a few purposes.  The value of this resistor combined with the operating points of the circuit gives the designer a way to know much voltage the circuit can swing (mU and the 0V line), and a sense of how the circuit might sound (is the loadline "cut" into equal length pieces by grid-cathode voltage curves?).  

The cathode resistor is there to set that grid-cathode voltage.

The resistors at the output are more-or-less an arbitrary value (150k-750k), and they keep one end of each of those brown coupling caps at ground potential.  If not for that, you might get quite a spark if you hot swapped the cables from the output.  

2/3  The blue colored caps bypass the 1k cathode resistors.  When using these capacitors, you increase the gain of the circuit and affecting the output impedance.  The value of these caps is determined by the cathode resistor and how much low frequency information you want to preserve.   Since this value ends up being so large (1,000uf), electrolytic caps are the sensible way to go.  

The brown caps are the coupling caps.  They block the DC voltage that is on the plate from being present on the output RCA jacks.  These are sized according to the input impedance of the equipment that the preamp feeds (15,000 ohms instead of 1,000 ohms).  Since these caps aren't so large in value, we are able to use high quality film caps for better sound.  

4.  Ah, I missed a pair of resistors!  The little carbon composition resistors are configured as grid stoppers.  They made their way into the Bottlehead kits when the Seduction came out, as the grid and plate stoppers were a great way to keep 6DJ8's from oscillating.  While it may not be super likely that a 3S4 will be prone to high frequency oscillation, it is a very inexpensive preventative measure to include these resistors.  

5.  That wire is almost exclusively chosen because it is solid core and Teflon covered.  With other insulation types, when the wire becomes too hot, the insulation will melt and curl off the wire, making a mess.  Solid core wire is important also so that the wire can be inserted into small switch holes without shorting to adjacent switch holes.  

6.  In my understanding, there are two DC offset measurements that are evaluated in audio.  One has to do with opamps problematically amplifying small amounts of DC, and the other has to do with DC being present at the output of a piece of equipment.  I will assume that you are interested in the latter measurement.  All you have to do is measure the DC voltage from ground to the center pin on each output RCA jack.  Since there is a blocking cap and a resistor to ground the output end of that blocking cap, this voltage should always be extremely close to zero.  

-Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline machinehead

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:28 AM
Thanks Paul, great info!

Since the Quickie doesn't really even get warm, would it be safe to say we could experiment with none teflon wire?

Also what are some other values we could play with, could we change the size of the blue caps to increase gain?

Do the carbon comp resistors add to that smooth tube sound instead of using a wire wound resistor?

Thanks again, as we all love to tinker.

Offline machinehead

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:58 AM
one more question, which resistor is setting the bias voltage?

Offline machinehead

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:10:50 PM
@Grainger49 Very nice custom case!  love the creativity and design, way to think outside the box!

What veneer is that?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:19 PM
@Grainger49 Very nice custom case!  love the creativity and design, way to think outside the box!

What veneer is that?

That is Wardsweb's that he mentioned above.  He does incredible work.  I do ugly work.  There are a couple of posts of my Foreplay 2 and Seduction in the gallery too.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:00:30 PM
Since the Quickie doesn't really even get warm, would it be safe to say we could experiment with none teflon wire?

Also what are some other values we could play with, could we change the size of the blue caps to increase gain?

Do the carbon comp resistors add to that smooth tube sound instead of using a wire wound resistor?

Thanks again, as we all love to tinker.

It isn't the tubes that get warm enough to melt insulation, it is the soldering iron that heats the wire while you build the kit. 

Increasing or decreasing the values of the blue caps will not affect gain, but it will affect frequency response.  If you go too small, you will get low frequency roll-off. 

The carbon composition resistors were known as the best type for use as grid and plate stoppers.  Several folks on some technical forums have experimented and found that basically any type of resistor will work well in that spot.  I would highly recommend against using a wire wound  there because they tend to be inductive and the grid stopper dissipated virtually no heat.  You might try a metal film, carbon film, or tantalum resistor there, although the value is sufficiently small that the sonic impact isn't stupendous. 

one more question, which resistor is setting the bias voltage?
The 1k resistor sets the bias.  You could put a pair of 5k pots in there to experiment with different operating points.  This tends to be easier IMO with the CCS installed.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:41:19 PM
A wirewound resistor would be the worst choice for a grid stopper. It's a coil of wire, which is, of course a great way to make an antenna. Since we are trying to block radio frequency interference, we want a resistor that is not sensitive to electromagnetic interference. Carbon comps are reputed to be less sensitive to RFI, and as an aside, a general practice dating back to ham radio days regarding resistor selection with respect to RFI rejection is the smaller the resistor body, the better.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 11:07:09 PM
@Grainger49 Very nice custom case!  love the creativity and design, way to think outside the box!

What veneer is that?
The veneer is Brazilian rosewood finished with semi-gloss Deft spray lacquer.

Offline machinehead

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:13 AM
Thanks All, love this stuff!